Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any pulled pork advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any pulled pork advice?

using my weber 22 kettle with sns, I have made some really great pulled pork with the exact smoke flavor and bark I want , I recently starting using a wsm 22 and my pulled pork turns out good but it does not have the same bark, almost like its to soft, and there was not nearly as much smoke flavor granted I have only done 2 cooks on this . I'm thinking I just need more wood in the pit,(using soo donut method about 6 chunks of hickory oak mix) ? should I add it directly to the coals a few times during the cook? and for the bark maybe I should not fill the water pan as full? or no water.... thanks in advance for your insight

Please, tell me yer method fer cookin' butts in yer 22" kettle...more detail, th' better.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      dry brine kosher salt the night before, Memphis dust piled on while the grill heats up, fill the sns with water all the way, about 15 ashed over coals in the corner of sns then unlit kbb filled with about 4 chunks wood then I usually put a few smaller pieces of wood on the coals when meat goes on,

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      I never refill the water, usually add more kbb after several hours, indirect cooking about 230 to 250 degrees, wrap about 170 , go to 200 and let sit about an hour .

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Use your kettle for pulled pork. It does a fantastic job by your own comments. My only suggestion would be to cut a large butt into smaller pieces so you get more bark.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree but sometimes I need to do more than 1 butt so I don't really have the room....

Sounds like a plan marshall

Comment

Hotter temp on the WSM? Say 275? I know that's not what you do on the 22, but every grill is different, and pork butt can certainly handle a higher temperature.

Comment

In the immortal words of Ron B "if it ain't broke..." my friend and fellow pit peep.your issue is not with the 22 kettle. Your issue is with the WSM. "HAVE YOU CONSIDERED A 26" kettle?" Cook up top and cook below too. Hinged grates and the certainty of the SnS.

I resoectully submit you need a 26" Kettle.
        thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Use the 22" kettle if that's what works best. I put 2 butts in mine routinely, in the 8# range. Cutting them in half gives you not only more delicious bark, but more wiggle room for fitting them in there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here