Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one done greek ribs on the bbq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one done greek ribs on the bbq?

Got a request for greek ribs, they are very popular here. I'd like to cook a rack of greek and a rack of my now famous "last meal ribs" for variety. Anyone had success with greek ribs they could share? Current plan is to just grab an oven based recipe off the web, marinade 24 hours and cook the same as the last meal ribs.

Thx

Funny you should ask, I just did some yesterday. They were ok, I think lacking in salt was the worst part. I actually ended up make a bbq dipping sauce for them for more flavor. Just a basic tomato based sauce with fresh lemons and lemon zest. I dont know that I would do them again without at least adding more salt and making a dipping sauce

Comment

The lack of salt makes sense to me. The ones I've had are extremely salty. When I try to recall their flavor, its salt, lemon and oregano.

New plan...wet brine with salt, lemon and oregano with twice the salt normally called for. Use the same sauce as a mop sauce while cooking and when finished. Taste one before serving and if needed, add more salt to all.

What do you think?

Comment

Greek ribs sound great, your idea turn the marinade into brine sounds like a good idea. I have never mopped anything, but would leave olive oil out of mop if it is in marinade. That flavor sounds good grilled in my head, I would recommend going easy on the smoke so not to kill the herb favor. I am going to make this next time I get a minute.

Comment

Hmmm - you make a good point. I never thought about smoke. Doesn't really go with Greek. Maybe the idea of cooking both types needs to get shelved. Or I give the Last meal ribs a head start with a smoke and then pull them early and cambro them. I agree about no oil.

Comment

I have some experience with Greek cooking and have written a few menus of Greek food for service. I'm not sure what They Are? Please enlighten me Hugh jacmac422

Comment

May not be a traditional greek thing but... Here in Regina we have a lot of greeks running really good pizza restaurants. You go to the back page and you find traditional greek food. You also find 'greek ribs' as an appetizer. We also have a lot of greeks running really good steak houses. Go to the back page and you find traditional greek food....and greek ribs.

Think naked ribs with salt, lemon and oregano. It just works.

I found a recipe which called for baking them in the oven. Marinade, start at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to get a sear and then 300 for an hour. She suggests cutting the ribs individually and baking which makes sense. I think they must be marinated as individual ribs as opposed to a rack which would help get more salt and lemon flavor in and on the meat, correct?.

I have found nothing online as far as bbq'd

Comment

As I understand it the founder of the famous Rendevous Restaurant in Memphis is Greek and he developed his ribs with Greek seasonings. Meathead has a recipe for them in Amazingribs.com. I have done them before and they are more like grilled ribs. They are not bad, but they are not what I think of when I think of Baby Backs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here