Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Rib Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Rib Challenge

Seems that of all the meats available to smoke, pork certainly is the most varied in terms of how folks deal with it. Pork needs help since it tends to be more dense and flavorless unless its helped by smoke, heat, seasoning and/or sauces to give it some character. It seems every region has its own way of dealing with this so recipes abound. As such my family and I set out to find out which general direction produced the best result for our pallets. As an immediate disclaimer I must say that this by no means covers anywhere near the variety of possibilities nor am I endorsing our final selection as anything more than what we like. We're from Texas and as you can immediately summize we prefer meat that isn't overly sauced, just well smoked and rubbed.

The challenge involved four different people who have various notions as to what they like. The tasting was done blind with no particular order to the choosing of the ribs, other than myself knowing how each was prepared. In setting this up I was limited to a choice of four different preps from two slabs of St. Louis cut pork ribs (which is our rib of choice). As to the cooking hardware;

Using my WSM 18" for the cook

WSM 18" smoker (my go to model)

Royal oak and apple wood for the heat source

combination of Royal Oak charcoal & apple wood chunks

Cooking temperature

temperature was monitored at +-225 for the duration

We chose to use the 3-2-1 method of cooking the ribs for each particular slab. As I will describe below, only one of the slabs was left unwrapped so it really was a straight 5 hour cook since at that time frame it was clearly finished.

We began by dry brining the slabs in kosher slat for about 1 1/2 hours. After that;

Salt & Pepper seasoning Rib rub, salt & pepper seasoning

we added pepper to one (effectively now salt & pepper) and Goode Company Pork Rub and pepper to the other. (Goode Company is a local BBQ joint in Houston who favors mesquite and sweet so his rub has both profiles). Slabs were rotated in the cooker from the top to the middle grill and back so the cooking would be approximately the same for each.

After 3 hours one slab with only salt and pepper was left to cook nekkid for 2 more hours (5 total). The other 3 were wrapped in foil as follows;

Slab #2 - w/salt/pepper seasoning - small amount of apple juice added to the foil

Slab #3 - w/rib rub - again apple juice added to the foil

Slab #4 - w/rib rub - about 2 teaspoons of butter, 4 tablespoons of dark brown sugar and apple juice to the foil

At the 5 hour mark the nekkid slab was removed and foiled while the other 3 were sauced as followed and smoked for an additional hour;

Slab #2 - my personal sauce which starts with a base of Woody's Cookin' Sauce and adds a bunch more. It's savory and slightly sweet.

Slab #3 - same

Slab #4 - Sweet Baby Rays with a touch of my sauce to give it a much sweeter profile

Here are the slabs as they sat resting prior to cutting and tasting;

Slabs from the 6 hour smoke

And here they are cut. Each had a real nice finish, a reasonable smoke ring and excellent tenderness with good "bite".

Cut rib slabs

AND THE WINNER !! It was unanimous (which I never expected) that #3 clearly won. It seemed the nekkid ribs lacked depth of flavor. Never having been wrapped they were tender and smokey but took on a jerky like density (maybe a tad over cooked). Slab #2 was basically the same but sauced and wrapped gave it a little more character but no where near as much as slab #3 that had the Goode Co. rub giving the bark a much more pronounced flavor. Slab #4 probably was the #2 choice but everyone recognized the sweetness note and being true Texans we prefer to let the meat do most of the talking !!

All in all it was a fun and flavorful experiment and one that confirms (at least for us) what style rib we will continue to eat, the way it is seasoned and prepared and the method of cooking that makes them lip smacking good. Hope you enjoyed reading this, try the challenge for yourself, its well worth the effort. HAPPY SMOKING Y'ALL !!!

Cool test! Thanks for the details and pictures!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!
      Thanks fer th' interestin' an' informative write up!

Comment

I love tests like that! CaptainMike once posed a question here about whether mustard was really needed to enhance ribs during the rub process. I put the question to the test. I cooked up a ton of racks for a Super Bowl party. Some were rubbed with mustard, others with oil and the last ones were simply rubbed. They were all smoked in a big cabinet, put on at the same time and pulled at the same time. I didn't tell anyone about the experiment. I just asked the folks which ones they liked the best. Everybody admitted to having a preference but it did not correspond with the rub process. The preference did correspond to the position of the ribs on the smoker. Those to the outside were a little drier. Some folks liked the dry ribs with more bark and others preferred the ribs in the middle that were moister and softer on top. While this proved that the mustard and/or oil was not needed, I still waste money and material by putting the mustard on before I put the rub on. Some habits are just hard to break.

Comment

I think the type of moisture (be it mustard, oil, water, whatever) has more to do with letting the rub stick and hold for a good bark. I personally use Lea & Perrins Worcester but again I think its a psychological thing imho. One thing I do observe when it comes to the bark is after wrapping you tend to 'mush' the bark and in some cases ruin it altogether. I do prefer to continue wrapping however to interject the moisture back into the meat. Thanks for the response!

Comment

Tough and jerky-like means undercooked if anything. Unwrapped ribs need to go longer because they haven't been crutched, overcooking makes them fall apart.

Comment

Good point Huskee on the unwrapped. They did pas the bend test at 5 hours so I pulled 'em. They really were not tough just had a jerky like taste to them. Some might actually like that; however, you may be right. Regardless I wrap for crutch and moisture reasons, just thought I'd try nekkid.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Comparison tests are my favorite way to go, you learn a lot about your own preferences that way.

Beautiful!

Comment

Try washing them after the dry brine, and then drying them with paper towels. Use plain old olive oil to adhere the rub. Seems to make a better bark, and enhance flavor. may be a placebo effect though. never done the three (mustard, oil, nekked) side by side....hmm..... makbe pork ribs for the fight this weekend?

Comment

Interesting test....

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Troutman !

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL, I needed that. I've come full circle

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman too bad the pictures didn’t survive …. I do like the post. By this point the Pit had really evolved into a great, interactive cooking site.

Not that anyone really cares, but I did go back into my picture archive (I am the ultimate pack rat) and found some of the pictures that went with the above post. The more I think about it the more I want to do the re-posting of an earlier cook. Anyone else interested ??

Click image for larger version  Name:	rib wood.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	1442132

Click image for larger version  Name:	rib rub 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	1442133

Click image for larger version  Name:	rib rub 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	1442130

Click image for larger version  Name:	cooked slabs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	1442129

Click image for larger version  Name:	ribs cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	1442131

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh that WSM looks good … and so do the ribs … I’m with you …. I think it would be interesting to recreate an old cook, but update it with what we know now

You were a wordy one from day 1!

Comment

• Draznnl
                      Draznnl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Says the man with the 419 character screen name.

• STEbbq
                      STEbbq commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Draznnl I have been meaning to shorten it for like seven or eight months but I can’t decide on my new name.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh, Steve has always been wordy

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here