Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder, convinced the key is in the hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm surprised to see this many people feeling the need to hold their butts after the cook. when i'm done cooking mine (without crutching) i just push it off the grate into a pan and it basically falls apart upon impact. it just goes to show how much variety there is in preference i suppose!

Comment

binarypaladin I'm not quite sure what Huskee meant by "misnomer" but what I meant is that 203 has seemed to have become an endpoint rather than an indicator. That is, collagen transformation is a process that takes both time and temperature, so it matters how you got to a particular temperature. We can see examples in sous vide, where you can achieve very tender results at very low temperatures -- albeit over a long period of time. So, it matters whether you got to 203 (or any other temperature) slowly or quickly. The temperature just tells you what its state is at a particular moment, but not the way it got there. For the same piece of meat, whether it got to your target temperature from a "low" cooker heat of 225 or a "high" cooker heat of 325 will matter. The end temperature will be the same the but amount of time it took to get there will be quite different.

The same goes whether your target temperature is 203, or 198, or 195, or any other temperature.

That's why I think holding in a cambro can have a big effect on texture.

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah. Okay. As someone who is big into sous-vide-que I get that. But you're probably right on what Huskee meant.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here