Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whole hog on a spit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole hog on a spit

I am cooking a whole hog on an enclosed spit. Any suggestions on what to do?

Welcome to Pit!!! Click on the link below to get some "homework" done. I never done whole hog enclosed, sure someone has.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ork-assignment

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      This was a topic in "The Pit" Last Week or the Week Before! I'll Search Amazing Ribs? Max Good had some Info on Dry Block Spits!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

zel65, Jerod Broussard, This topic was on "The Pit" last Week or the Week Before❓ You may want to search the Pit HomePage! I will Check the Amazing Ribs
    HomePage and try to Link what I find Here for You! Not to Good at this but I'll Try!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just type in Whole Hog Spit in the Search Window of the AmazingRibs.Com Home Page and Several Posts Going Back to
      2014 can be Linked Too! I think the Same will be Possible on "The PitClub" HomePage! Hope this Helps You!
      🐷🐷🐖🐷🐷
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Welcome to the Pit! A whole hog is too much for me to attempt, but as Danjohnston949 said, there is a good discussion by Meathead on the main site regarding the pitfalls() of a whole hog and some ways around them.

Comment

Welcome zel65

Comment

Toughest part about doing a whole hog is getting the hog secured on the spit sufficiently that they don't fall apart when turned. I have used cookers set up for continuous rotation but have long ago quit the continuous part. Turn 90 -180 degrees every half hour or so to get even cooking but hog more likely to stay intact that way. Hog might only make 3 or 4 rotations in the entire cook in an enclosed cooker. In the best setups the hog is confined in a "cage" as opposed to just skewered "butt hole to appetite" but even then as they cook they shrink and still start shifting around when turned. Whole hog is actually a very forgiving cook and hard to screw up once you are set up and rolling. The ones I have done have been in the 200#-300# live weight and cooked in a pretty hot cooker and mostly before I ever heard of using a thermometer in the cooker. Probably in the 300-350 degree range though. Roasted skin on, they baste in their own fat and honestly need very little seasoning except S&P. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

• zel65
          zel65 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks

• zel65
          zel65 commented
          Editing a comment
          My plan is to use chicken wire and food safe wire to supplement the spit. I also am going to try a dry rub and possibly an injected brine before the hog is trussed up. One of the things I have read is to coat the skin with either lard or vegetable shortening like Crisco at the start...

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          I would still turn very minimally. Good luck!

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and best of luck with that hog!

Comment

• zel65
            zel65 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here