Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two different sized pork butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two different sized pork butts?

Hi there --

I planning on cooking some pork butt tomorrow, and I have two different sized pork butts (3.2lbs and 1.8 lbs). Does anyone have a recommendation on whether I should cook them separately or perhaps tie them together? If separately, should I start them both at the same time and remove the smaller one earlier or start the smaller one later (seems more like a gamble)?

Thanks in advance!

Ashley

Hi and welcome to the Pit!
    My suggestion would be to start them at the same time. Cooking time will depend more on thickness of the meat and not necessarily on the weight. If they are roughly the same thickness, they should finish up around the same time. If it happens that the smaller weight butt finishes before the larger one, you can always place it in a faux cambro for upwards of 4 hours, or alternatively place it in the oven at 170° to keep it warm.
    I would advise against tying them together. More surface area = more bark = more tasty

Comment

Thx for the welcome. :-)

ok, appreciate the answer. This makes sense to me. Unfortunately they aren't the same thickness but maybe we can also just have pulled pork snacks on the way to pulled pork sandwiches! ;-) faux cambro it will be.

Comment

You could always cut the larger one into two pieces. Then you'd have three that are roughly the same size, and you'd get mroe surface area. And as MrMisunderstood said:
        Originally posted by MrMisunderstood View Post
        More surface area = more bark = more tasty

Comment

• BigCountryQ
          BigCountryQ commented
          Editing a comment
          great idea as well!

Welcome ashleyroach

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ashley. Please forgive the basic info I am posting, but I don't know your level of experience.

If you have a leave in thermometer with only one probe put it in the smaller butt first. Then move it to the larger butt when you pull the smaller one. Please remember that temp is only an indicator for doneness. You want the meat to be probe tender when you pull it.
          If you have two probes, use one for the meat and one to monitor pit temp.
          If you have three probes, one goes in each butt and the third is your pit monitor.

And I'm sure you know to wrap the butts in foil as you pull them.

Comment

Thanks again for the additional replies. I'm a relative newbie, but I have done a couple of pork butts a week or two ago. Turned out nicely. I'm using a Weber kettle with a SnS. I do have thermometers for both butts and the pot. (Thx to all of the info on the regular site.). Guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

dave_trimble As for cutting the larger butt in half, I guess that'd mean one piece with the bone in and one boneless the way it's cut currently? Any issues with that other than cook times potentially?

Comment

• dave_trimble
              dave_trimble commented
              Editing a comment
              You could do that, I suppose. I always use boneless butts, so I was just assuming yours were too, especially given how small they are.

Cut the top center off. Get weight close. Use the extra pork for a diced pork dish. Pork fried rice, stir fry, etc. This way both pork butts are the same across the board. Don't cut in half, cut horizontally if this makes sense.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Take the smaller piece after cutting and try this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...rk-and-peaches

If you can't get on the site, let me know and I'll provide another way to access it.

It's a completely different kind of pork butt experience.

The above advice is all great. Lazy me, I'd plop both on as-is. I don't think you can go wrong in any case. I'm a fan of wrapping, so I'd wrap, especially having the smaller ones.

Comment

I'm with Huskee on this. Do both as is at the same time. The smaller will finish first (remember probe tender, not necessarily temperature). Wrap it tight and hold it longer. Once they've both been in the Cambro for at least an hour, then pull them.

As as small as they are, I'd wrap once you have a good bark (about 170-180F). This will help keep some of the interior moist.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! The pulled pork turned out great. I ended up pulling off the smaller butt and foil wrapping it and keeping it warm in the oven at 170. Forgot to take a photo of the small butt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	361165Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	361166

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks Yummy!
                  Great Job!

Looks great, Ashley. Good job!

Comment

Oh, yeah. Love the bark! Congratulations!

Comment

Hey all, same boat as the OP but with bigger cuts. How long can I comfortably wait to pull if I have it wrapped and in the oven on warm? 1 hour? 4 hours? Thanks!!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One hour minimum. Could easily do 4 if you have time and that would be great!. I've done almost 6 without any problems. Enjoy!

• CubsFanRS23
                      CubsFanRS23 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great!! I usually wait 30-60min but tomorrow I'll most likely end up with the butts being done 3-4 hours before I need them and I didn't want to have to pull it and then try to keep it moist.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here