Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Pulled Pork time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Pulled Pork time

I had previous asked a question of how early to start a port shoulder for a 6pm dinner. It was 8 pounds before trim, and I decided to start it at 10:30pm the night before and Cambrio it if it came out early. Well, very glad I started the night before as it took 19 1/2 hours and I pulled it off right before pulling and serving.

I used a Smoking' Tex 1400 Electric Smoker with a wall mounted temp sensor (recently tested in boiling water) and Auber PID controller. Since I was starting so early, I set it to 225° and left it alone for the many hours at the start. Here's the temp profile for the first 12 hours...

Time Cooker Target Temp Cooker Actual Temp Meat Temp
    10:30 PM 225° 154° (when meat went in) 34°
    11:00 PM 225° 211° 34°
    11:10 PM 225° 225° 34°
    7:00 AM 225° 225° 156°
    9:15 AM 225° 225° 159°
    10:30 AM 225° 225° 163°
    11:30 AM 225° 225° 165°

Wasn't that concerned with it, but it was only at 182° by 2:30pm. I turned up the Auber to 240°, but at 4pm, the meat was still only 190°. So much for a few hours of faux cambro!

I then cranked it up to 300° (it takes a while for an electric smoker to change temp, especially one that is only supposed to work to 250°, but I modded to go higher) and the shoulder reached 201° at 6:05pm. Took it off, pulled it immediately, and we ate. Flavor was great, but just a tad on the dry side, not sure if this was because I didn't hold it at all or it cooked too slow and long.

However, it was a big hit with the family and guests. Here it is (nice bark using MMD, but with hot paprika instead of sweet) and my "Alabama Baked Beans" recipe (which are simply the best beans I have ever had- I think I got the recipe out of an old Weber Grilling cookbook- bacon, brown sugar, onions, green peppers- let me know if you want the recipe). Also made homemade toffee pudding cake and cornbread. Paired with Oskar Blues Pinner IPA and some great friends, and the evening was a success.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7OYlc3t2NGmauUw0McEKnt3t8Adu5uqTzPl7X_Cx3TVYlpV3QNhPccsWO2BCRkLJ991VMWXYe6UDtvOi65yI93ljuhb3MDqM67OPWjNHk3GfyZuRA8MP5fmDu0UQs_gs7EL8qXeSst2wVqXSUR45BR1PYb3EZHcMCXoYpErNmnR6ug8dvLtyf-ZpHVu8BkslyE73c_uWM3PeOGjHWgCxnsPj2SuffU3O8CypH8tpnRrblwhmIp2a0EIoeKaDVa4
Views:	117
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	357978

Click image for larger version

Name:	jourGsmxki0vz51ZC1019KRWHmObqynVcGtSYcuYPkBx0FHEo23fnx8498gvAGdFktRRmkVAv1F8EYsr56AjmX4a9RN1RbNlwvLsrO9Tq0o2DXqF6FeRmrIUSDnFao6JauXL4BCR0aoE-meKXSF84pAUmBhiPxJkwZM3_pMnzDTsmkhdodlnU35QSceKdKza6kFcAJ8OYRaWnOl_vH6tsStwgC71fQ0IEk2OzD2grkzpJYBdTE4AaUHTjsxRry8
Views:	83
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	357979

Why did this take some long? I am thinking the location of my ambient probe (on the rear wall) might have been hotter than where the meat was since I had a drip pan underneath the shoulder and the heat would go around it, up the back where the probe was, or front. I will use an ambient probe on the grate next to meat next time to test this.

I also believe (but unproven) that an electric smoker just takes longer than other types of smoking due to lack of any air flow. I experienced this on my old Bradley as well as I would have to go much longer than what is typically expected. I have started the process of researching pellet grills, but will probably be a while!

-CowboyScott

You can cut down on your time by running your temps at 275*. Butts can definitely handle a higher temperature with no ill effects. And you might even get a better bark although what you have here looks absolutely great.

Comment

Great Lookin' Food!!!
      Nice job!
      That sounds like a wonderful meal!
      "Alabama Baked Beans" recipe, Please!

Comment

I used to have a Masterbuilt electric and it would routinely take 20+ hrs if I didn't wrap. So yeah, I think it's something about the low air flow of electrics. My Old Country over and under, on the other hand, is like a convection oven in comparison. I've never needed more than 12 hours for anything in that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          My faithful ol' Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Cooker took more than 20 hours to do th' first butt on it...
          An' th' stall seemed to last fourteen forevers!
          Man, I was worryin' BAD!!!
          An dang dang Hungry!!!
          Note: no temp knob/switch...jus' plugged in/unplugged...

Looks good! X2 on Steve B suggestion for higher temp. Less time and less dry. Also, no shame in using the "crutch"! The goal is great "Q"! Don't be afraid to wrap/pan the butt after the stall. You should have great bark by then and it will decrease cook time. Plus it will allow you to catch some liquid that you can add back to the finished product. Win/win!

Comment

What they all said and by what you said you are keeping more moisture in the chamber making for a longer stall. Try 250 and or wrap.

Also its likely you were done befor hitting 203 and you dried the meat out some. Tender and pullable v temp. Looks great! I would love the bean recipe.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am sure my friends and family won't mind me practicing more and more!

Here's the Alabama Baked Beans recipe...

Alabama Baked Beans
            4 slices bacon
            1 small onion- chopped
            1 small green pepper- chopped
            2 16-ounce cans pork and beans with tomato sauce, drained (I use Bush's original baked beans)
            1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
            2 tablespoons vinegar
            1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
            1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

In medium skillet cook bacon till crisp. Drain and crumble, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion and pepper in reserved drippings till tender. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and bacon pieces; spoon into 8x5 1/4-inch aluminum pan (I have used many different types of pans- sauce, bread pan, etc.)

Place pan in center of grill (or cooktop over low/medium heat) for 30-40 minutes or til heated through and of desired consistency, stirring once halfway through.

Serves 4-6

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank, Pard!
              Much appreciated!

That hunk of meat looks good to me! Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here