Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Bacon?

Love the bacon recipe, but I got a question. In order to make the bacon last longer, can it be frozen? I'm thinking that after using the Prague #1 Powder and you put it in the smoker, that would be when you might be able to cut it into portions and then freeze it. We don't really eat it very often as we are not big breakfast types around here and I thought if I could cut it in half or probably thirds, that would be just great.

Any thoughts on this?

Mike S.

I let the belly cure, rinse it, smoke it to 160-165, then refrigerator it, then slice, fry, and eat.

Any bacon we couldn't eat, I double wrap in Saran Wrap (first) then wrap in foil (don't let foil touch the bacon). Then freeze. You're good for months. Defrost for a day then slice, fry, and eat like normal.

You can also use Food Saver bags if you have it, then foil on top of that.

Comment

I do 20#-30# every month or 6 weeks for us and a few friends. Slice it, vacuum pack in 1# packages and freeze. I've found some hidden in the bottom of the freezer that is a year or more old and it is still awesome! Thaw in warm water or microwave on low and you are ready for a BLT in a heartbeat! Enjoy!

Comment

Any of the methods above will work, but I would slice and portion it before freezing.

Comment

I slice, lay out on waxed paper, slide into vac bag, seal and freeze all the time. I try to make big batches in cool weather for supply for the summer months. Works great

Comment

Soooo many different ways!!! Point is, freezing is just fine!

Comment

I was hoping someone would say that! But I didn't expect so many replies so soon!
              Thank You VERY much, kind Sirs.

Mike S.

Comment

Agreed. It freezes just fine.

Comment

I sous vide bacon for 12 hrs at 145 then grill to 3/4 done. Freeze it. When we want a BLT take a few slices out and microwave until done. Simply way for 2 people in the house.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here