Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Battle Lost, A War Won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Battle Lost, A War Won!

So # 1 does the Traditional Turkey and I do the Ham on the Weber 22.5. I promise you can't go wrong with Meathead's Ultimate Easter Ham recipe.

Anyhooo.... I normally would build a fuse 2 wide x 2 high over 1/2 the kettle. Works very well for 225. But wait, the temperature is in the Low 40's so I think we need more fuel because of the colder temp. So off we go with a 2 x 3 fuse which works very well for 325.

So the ham is smoking away for 1st hour, but I was concerned about drying it out as the temps moved into the 240's. So I pulled it and started the cook.

Suddenly, temp is skyrocketing into the 260's. What happens next can only be compared to the "Old Man" battling clinkers in A Christmas Story.

In Summary:
    • Removed about 20 unlit coals from the fuse
    • Pulled the cover off multiple times to drop temp by 100 degrees each time
    • Added water pan with 4 cups water
    • Pull ham as far away from heat as possible
    • Added Ice to water pan towards the end
    • Cooked with the cover cracked 1 - 2 inches the whole 2 Hr and 3 min that it took to get the #%*!! down to 225
    • Avg cooking temp was in the 280's, peaking @ 291

Got 1 Hr 4 min @ 225.

So the Publix 6.82 lb Ham was cooked in 3 Hr 45 min including the 35 min I smoked with hickory chips. Yes, at 11:15 AM the ham was sitting @ 141.

Now dinner is planned for 1 PM. Enter the Faux Cambro ( 1st time I ever did this - used Meathead's instructions ) When I pulled the ham at 12:35 PM for slicing, the IT was at 135. Amazing!

Can't post these on your turkey page, but thanks to this great site disaster was averted! Yeah, as good as it looks!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

--Ed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	35619 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	35620 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	35617
    Attached Files

Great job!! Way to hang in there!!

Grease under the reverse-flow plate for my offset caught fire 25 minutes into a rib cook yesterday. I quickly confiscated the oven. Man I was ticked. PBC turkey went flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Grease under the reverse-flow plate for my offset caught fire 25 minutes into a rib cook yesterday.
      Oh my Gosh! Glad to hear the turkey was a winner!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Ribs too. Water pan under the ribs and them babies still had a smoke ring. Go figure.

Man that ham looks great!

Comment

Way to pick up the spare! Looks great! Might want to check out Marauderer's post on eggs Benedict.

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Love Eggs Benedict, saw the post, need to read it. Thx!

NICE! I love MH's ham recipe too. You gotta try the Chris Lilly glaze, truss meh.

What's in the glass in that third pic?

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Some wimpy wine... after everyone left Mr. Bacardi made a most welcome appearance. All I did was the ham, #1 did everything else - WOW!

The gravy bowl contains the famous dipping sauce made with Chicken Broth and non-other... Chris Lilly's glaze! That stuff is good enough straight-up!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          NICE. Now I want ham... and Bacardi... not sure if in that order.

Alas poor ham... we knew him well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	36011
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here