Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

second attempt on a pork butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second attempt on a pork butt

OK, Hogjaws again, on our next search and destroy mission with a hapless pork butt, we injected it with Meatheads preference and loaded it up. Started it on our new GMG smoker @ 150 but not soon enough, temp in AM was only 135, cranked it to 225 and still low in afternoon. Took it out & put it in the oven @ 350, lotta gravy but a little dry. If we do it this way again we'll wrap it in foil. Still on a learning curve.

Hogjaws, I think that 150 temp is needlessly prolonging your cook. I'm sure it will eventually turn out good, but unless you like doing 18 hour cooks for pork butt, I think I'd throw that thing on at 225 - 250 and let it go. Keep a digital thermometer in it, and if you see it stall, then wrap it. Or just let it go unwrapped.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with JonnyB pork butt can handle higher temps. I don't konw of anything that should be started at that low of a temp. 225 is the lowest of the low and slow temps for me. Hogjaws

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I typically cook them 12 hours at 225 unwrapped and 9 hours wrapped.

if you're going to cook it at 350 yeah you'll want to wrap it in foil. i would suggest taking it to 250 and leaving it there as JonnyB suggests.

Comment

All true. JonnyB did you right. 150° is uncessary and barley out of the danger zone. Now add in additional moisture and we will see you tomorrow. At 225° you will stall out for a while but you can wrap. At 250-270° you can push through that and get some real nice bark if that's your thing.

I think with all of your effort you can make it a little easier for you and a better pay off. Your effort will pay off.

Comment

Had to leave Western N.Y. in a hurry (no her father didn't have a shotgun)so covered and packed it up for a Lake Erie effect winter. We'll get to it in around mid May when the ice is gone. Thank you all for your insight and very helpful input.

Comment

He had a knife?
        My first (and only) pork butt (7.5 lb) took 16 hours at 225, next one I'm bumping to 250 and if that doesn't do it in 8 hours, bumping to 275.
        Stay warm my friend!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          May as well hit it with 275 from the start if you're doing a binary search.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know! Save me the agony of exponential search, fractional cascading, interpolation, uniform, noisy.............

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here