Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull Pork test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wrote "We had some guess over for my wife's birthday dinner and I had each person to take a sample of each PB. I never told anyone which PB was wrapped. Here's the results. Out of 8 people 5 like the wrapped PB, 2 like the unwrapped better and 1 like both. The 5 that like the wrap PB said the unwrap had a stronger smoke flavor and was dryer."

I am thinking not wrapping would give the strong smoke flavor I like, and the injection would assure moisture. Are you recommending wrapping and skipping the injection, because you couldn't tell much difference in the smoke intensity between the two Butts even though your guests could?

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I did not like the stronger smoke taste or the dryness. I personally like the wrap PB better but that could be that that's what I'm used to.

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
    Are you recommending wrapping and skipping the injection
    Here's a slightly hijacked reply from me, but I had pondered this same thought before and it was suggested to me long ago that not wrapping would sweat out what you're injecting, so the two methods may just cancel each other. Keep in mind wrapping will also help reserve some of the highly flavored juice to drizzle back over the meat later. Of course the only way to tell fact from theory is to do it!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay! I'll contemplate the experiment, but it will have to be for company. Two Boston Butts will be a little much for my wife and me - even freezing it.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps you could use a stronger flavored wood (or more of it) for your smoke? Hickory perhaps? That should give your bark ample smoke flavor and still allow a wrap after the stall to conserve moisture.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Point well made, HorseDoctor ...
      Ya' give me yet more again to contemplate, many thanks, Sir!
      I love options, variables, solutions, an' jus; learnin', every second...

Love the blind test Side-By-Sides!! Good work DWCowles !!

Comment

The best one I have done so far was one of 2 that I cooked at different times on my Grilla Silverback pellet smoker. They were both injected with Butchers open pit injection and seasoned with MMD then frozen. I took both of them straight out of the freezer and put them on the grill at 225 degrees. That first one I did that way was by far the best, it took around 11 hours and turned out really juicy but with a mild smoke flavor. I did that same thing with the other one about a month later and it took about 14.5 hours and turned out dry with a bark that was like jerky even though everything was exactly the same, I referred to my notes on the first one when I cooked the second one so I know everything was the same except the piece of meat. I think the first one was either a fluke or maybe the BBQ gods were smiling on me that day. Thanks DW for taking the time to do this and post it, I think my next one will be wrapped at the stall. Did you put any liquid in the foil when you wrapped it or did you just put the meat in the foil or what ever you wrapped it in?

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't seem too likely after only one-month frozen, but it could be freezer burn making the difference in cook time and dryness. Did you see a lot of clear ice in the bag on the second?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        No liquid...just wrapped

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        kmhfive no there was no freezer burn, both of the butts were vacuum sealed and were in the freezer for about the same amount of time which was around 2 weeks before they were cooked, to the best of my recollection.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here