Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull Pork test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull Pork test

I did a test with two pork butts...
    (1) They were the same size...8 lbs each.
    (2) Both had the same rub.
    (3) One was wrapped and one wasn't.
    (4) Both were cook on the same cooker...Kamado Joe Big Joe
    (5) Fuel was Fogo lump
    I started the unwrap butt at 8:30 pm Sunday night and the one that's going to be wrap at 12:30 am. I used the Flame Boss 300 to monitor the pit and meat temp which did an excellent job of keeping the pit temp at 225.

The unwrap PB took 20.5 hrs to cook and the PB that got wrapped 16.5 hrs. I fail to mention that both of them were partially frozen. The wrapped PB got wrapped when the IT reach 170.

Both were done at the same time with the IT temp at 199 then got wrapped in towels and put in the cambro for two hrs.

We had some guess over for my wife's birthday dinner and I had each person to take a sample of each PB. I never told anyone which PB was wrapped. Here's the results. Out of 8 people 5 like the wrapped PB, 2 like the unwrapped better and 1 like both. The 5 that like the wrap PB said the unwrap had a stronger smoke flavor and was dryer.

In the picture below the unwrap PB is on the left. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	355370

Thanks, DW ... great info! Mental note filed away for future reference ... if I can remember where I filed it ... ...

Comment

Nice write up DW. Interesting results. I love the thicker bark and stronger smoke. I try not to wrap when ever possible. Thanks for posting man!

Comment

Cool test. Which did you like better?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The one that was wrap

Thanks for doin' all th' work, an' postin' results....!
        Both look delicious to me, BTW!

Comment

Excellent experiment! I have learned another useful cooking lesson!

Comment

Very nice report.

Comment

Thanks for the share DW

Comment

Might be my imagination, but I think I can see a difference. The unwrapped looks a little darker to me. Less moisture or more smoke or both could cause that I suppose. Thanks for the information, good stuff!

Comment

Good post DWCowles . Thanks for the information.

Comment

Good comparison. Thankyou sir!

Comment

Thanks for sharing you experience.

Comment

Interesting, but not surprising - thanx.

Comment

Thank you for your post, DWCowles . It's really a nice writeup and a good comparison. It helps solidify my method of taking the PB unwrapped to probe tenderness, since I love a lot of tasty bark and a good smoke flavor on PBs.

Keep the good info coming!

Kathryn

Comment

I like the folks who do scientific tests like this, since I don't have the patience. Thanks much. I like the smoke flavor, but sometimes my Boston Butts are a little dryer than I like, so I think I will try injecting the next one and skip wrapping.

Comment

• DWCowles
                              DWCowles commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I would skip the injestion and just do the wrap.

• vandy
                              vandy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think you are on to something there DW, I think next time I do a pork butt on my Big Joe I will wrap it to see if that makes a difference. The one I did this weekend took 17 hours unwrapped and turned out a little dry.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here