Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defrosting Frozen Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrosting Frozen Ribs

Hey guys. I bought a 3 pack of st Louis ribs. Cooked 2 and froze one last weekend. I figured I'd give it 24 hours in the fridge to defrost. I don't think that was enough time because it's still not very pliable. If I want to get them on at 11 in time for dinner should I put them in the oven at 170 to defrost? Are there other options? Or should I drop back and punt on barbecue today?

If not frozen solid, I'd put them on and let them go. May add a little time to the cook.

Comment

I agree - put them on the grill partially frozen. Hopefully the outer layer is thawed enough to get your rub to stick.

Another point - I try to add the dry brine before freezing now so that I don't have to worry about it when I pull the meat from the freezer.

Comment

I usually start thawing in the reefer 2 days in advance. Otherwise, I'd adjust for a longer cook time, but I don't have direct experience with partially frozen.

Good luck! --Ed

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have a zip,lock big eneough you can just put them in the bag and defrostbthem in water. Maybe it will take 30 min to an hour. Easynpeasy

Put them on partially frozen. Pliable and not quite frozen solid. We will see how things turn out!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Done it before - it works!

Agreed! Frozen? Schmozen!!!
        Set them out a lil' bit to sweat, so yer rub adheres...
        Chuck 'em into yer cooker, maintain th' fire, an' wait patiently...

Comment

Turned out ok! I could have left them on longer, but no complaints. Thanks everyone for their help!

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

No pics?

Comment

Let's see some pictures of those ribs!! HJS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here