Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 16lb bone out butt or 2 8ish lb butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 16lb bone out butt or 2 8ish lb butts

looking to do my first real cook on my new Rec Tec 680. Went to Costco and the smallest butt they have was 16 lb bone out.

The question I have is whether 2 8lb butts (cutting it in two) take the same time as 1 or should I plan for more time. I can do the 16 lb butt but don't really feel like doing a 35 hour cook (assuming 2hrs per lb plus rest time).

Any my input would be appreciated!!

Cut it in half.
    For one it will give you more bark. Yummy.
    And second it should cut the time down quite a bit. Maybe 12hrs or so total cook time.
    Also if you divide the butt you should probably tie it up to keep it from falling apart as the cook goes along.

Good luck and feed us some pics.

Comment

danmick welcome to the Pit...๐Ÿ‘ If you open that 16 pound package of pork shoulder/butt you bought at Costco you will pleasantly discover there are 2-8 pound pieces of meat in there. Personally I would cut both of those pieces of meat in half and smoke 4-4lb pieces of meat. That will give you more surface area and more bark per pound.

Good luck on your cook. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 22, 2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Ditto to Breadhead

Comment

Welcome danmick

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! I just did a half-butt on my GMG last W/E. it was the perfect ratio of bark to moist pulled pork. I couldn't stop eating it--no sauce required.

Comment

+1 for the four 4-pounders suggestion from Breadhead ...

Comment

Welcome! I too would do 4 4lbers.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir.

I would cut them up as it's your first cook/new cooker. This will give you some experience on that grill and can make things more manageable should issues arise. And just think of all that MMD. Yum, you can also try various rubs too. I look forward to the pics,

Good luck. Don't forget the cold ones.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Dan, (or Mick). I agree with four pieces, and don't forget to tie them up.

Comment

Divide, n' Conquer!!!
                      Best of luck on yer cook!!!

Comment

I am doing 2 4 pounders.

Comment

After 19 hours on the rec tec at 235, it came out great!!
                          i didn't wrap it mid cook, but I also didn't let it rest long enough as the cook took much longer than I had planned for.
                          Still way better than anything I have made before. Even though I pulled it at 195 (rather than the 204 I was planning on) there was a nice bark, thick smoke ring, and the pork melted in the mouth!!

pics below.

Attached Files

Comment

Awesome job! Usually when going unwrapped 195 is all it needs due to the time it takes to get there.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                              HorseDoctor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              BINGO!!! "Done" is a combination of time and temp!

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here