Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami ribs

Ok so I was watching cooking channel the other night and this company was making what they called pastrami ribs. they brined them like corned beef then rubbed them with pastrami season and on to the grill.
    So of course I need to try this. I'm going to use Meatheads Kats recipe, but my question is when I calculate meat weight for prague powder do I deduct some for bone weight? And what do you think for brine time, 2-3 days?
    Has anybody else tried this or seen this?

That sounds really, really good, but I would be concerned about the curing salts penetrating through the bone. Normally, the salts will slowly penetrate from all sides, but I don't know if they penetrate through the bone, and would assume that they don't until I found out otherwise. That would mean brining could take twice as long since penetration is happening from only one side.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the salts penetrate about .25" per day. So a 3" thick piece of meat would have a total penetration of .5" total per day - .25" on each side, and that meat would take six days to cure. If the salts are only penetrating on one side, that meat would take 12 days to cure.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... sounds long to me. I would think a dry brine like bacon. Also if the membrane is off there will be penetration. That type of ribs are you talking about that are 3" with the bone. I'm confused. Again.... or maybe just kinda always.

Comment

Get some boneless beef short ribs and try them on that. Someone in the pit made them and they looked excellent

Comment

Comment

According to Michael Ruhlman, bone-in will work, and pink salt is optional:

Pastrami ribs: http://ruhlman.com/2009/07/homemade-...it-for-months/

Corned beef (I've made this, without the pink salt): http://blog.ruhlman.com/2016/03/homemade-corned-beef/

You're obviously going to want to replace parts of the cook with smoking. If memory serves, I corned a brisket flat with the second recipe, then switched over and smoke the result to make pastrami. OK, this one covers both parts:

Ruhlman knows his stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here