Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling fresh ham roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling fresh ham roast

So me and my wife have recently bought a pig and we had the butcher give us some fresh ham roasts, about 8 lbs each, and I want to grill one for a how boat trip we are taking with her family. I'm new to grilling large portions of ham like a roast. I want to ask what the best way to go about grilling this roast all the way through is without overdrying it, but cooking it fully through. Also any tips on how to properly glaze? Thanks! The house boat grill is a 4 burner gas grill.

House boat**

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

I assume you don't intend to cure it when you say "fresh" ham, correct? If correct, check out Meathead's 'Curing a Ham' recipe here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...uring_ham.html but skip to step 4 if you're not curing it. Practice getting your gas grill to 325 indirectly, but please don't trust the grill's lid thermometer, if there even is one. Use a digital thermometer probe at grate level 2-3" away from the meat, so it feels what the ham will feel. Cook at 325 to 145F in the coolest part of the center, could be ~5hrs, but that depends on how well you get the cooking temp stabilized close to 325 and how thick the ham is, etc.

Chris Lilly's Apricot Glaze : http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...cot_glaze.html
      Danny Gaulden's Brown Sugar Mustard Glaze: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_glaze.html

Comment

Welcome E_swan23

Comment

Nice to meet you. Following the links that Huskee provided seems like the best recipe I've heard of. But, you have to have a thermometer. On a big hunk like that if you can't get exactly 325F, don't worry too much. I imagine that on a boat the wind may be a bit capricious. Shoot for 325-350F and don't worry about small variations.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Thank you Huskee and everyone else, I'll do that! I've been practicing with the thermo works thermapen, but I'll get a thermometer probe for my grate as well, so I'll try and get those temps dialed in for my meat. And ya I don't have time to cure it this time around so I'm heading right to the grill, and ya kmhfive with varying wind that the lake can give on the boat I'll just see what happens but I'll get within the range you've suggested, I'm prepared for a long cook! And I'm glad to be a part of the Pit!

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                It should work out delicious!

I'm pretty sure I've done this one, and that it comes out good. It's supposedly for an oven, but you can put it in your grill. Generally when I get something like this and it calls for a roasting pan, I just put a drip pan below the grate. But you may have a problem doing that with the gasser.

Roasted fresh ham can be very good - you just have to be careful not to dry it out because of the relative lack of intramuscular fat.

Comment

I would make sure I don't take it over 140 F, internal, as is stated in Meatheads recipe be for fresh ham. That meat will seize up quick and you will have some tough bites coming your way. I just had a friend that made a fresh ham last night using the recipe that Huskee mentioned for Fresh ham. If you can follow the temps and guidelines within that recipe, you will be doing just fine.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MH's method appears to be for a ham you cure. E_swan23 appears not to be curing, and he'll probably want to go a bit over 140 (though I don't have a problem with that temp).

I ended up keeping it about 140, a tad higher when all was said and done, but for my first one I think it turned out alright! thank you all for the advice!

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations!

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What ham?

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice and juicy? Delicious, me Precious?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here