Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone par boil meat such as pork butts before you found Amazingribs.com??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned beef, hot dogs, and cured ham. A really salty ham benefits from a little boiling to leech out some salt. Which is more or less the same reason why you boil corned beef. And I haven't done hot dogs since my dorm room in college.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankfully my wife is appalled at boiled hot dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spiral_Cut_052716.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	349401
    LOL! --Ed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Boil_ur_Ribs.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	349402

Comment

Yes, of course, I've parboiled something like a pork butt. Still do, when the recipe calls for braising and making a sauce from the braising liquid. No, not for smoking -- but that's not what the question in your title asks.

Parboiling helps to clarify a final sauce because the surface proteins clump together, making them easier to skim off. If you don't parboil a hunk of pork or chicken or beef before the braise, the final sauce is cloudy. Parboil for a few minutes, then remove and rinse the hunks of meat. Next time you make a meat-based stew or soup, try it both ways: with, and without a cleansing parboil. The soup or stew will be much clearer and more appetizing if you parboil.

Parboiling is a technique, and there are lots of techniques in cooking. If you use it appropriately it gives good results.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        There's always a wise man around to counter conventional wisdom! ;-)

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW! Reading a recipe in CI that gives the same info about clarifying, etc. Good info regarding the technique of Parboiling RobertC

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        While that is a skilled technique tis not what was meant. EdF A wise man indeed!

i started cooking late in life so i never cooked any of this stuff until i started using this website.

my wife, on the other hand, comes from a family where a lot of their meats are boiled. that must have been the way to do it for a long time

Comment

I never cooked a pork butt any way prior to finding ar.com. I have well made up for it since, and only on my gas grill when I learned how from ar.com, and then plenty more on my PBC. Some day I want to get a large stick burner and smoke about 20 at once 😊 I'll invite you all over.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We'll be waiting!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha... if you invite us all 20 pork butts will not be near enough.😬

Many many moons ago I admit I simmered my ribs in beer. And around the same age bracket we used to keep a crockpot full of hotdogs simmering in beer during partys.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Youth is wasted on the young!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah EdF, youth is a waste.

What RobertC did is what make the Pit amazing, from just being Ribs, to Amazing Ribs.

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I learned something new yesterday... --Ed

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's funny!😎 Welcome to the Pit dave_trimble ...👍

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here