Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone par boil meat such as pork butts before you found Amazingribs.com??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone par boil meat such as pork butts before you found Amazingribs.com??

I didn't have time to smoke some pork butts for a fundraiser this past week, so another dude did the cooking. He owns a catering service so he easily has more capacity.

Numerous people came up to me and claimed they knew with the first bite I hadn't cooked the meat. I thought maybe it was tough but they said it was mushy. Someone said the meat was par boiled before it got smoked a little. They weren't there, they just knew from past experience that was no doubt what happened.

I doubt he did any dry brining. I know I can tell a difference on butts b/n an overnight dry brine and a 2-3 day dry brine.

I've sous vide before and after smoking but that stuff was anything but mushy.

I forgot to ask if the meat had much of any bark, but with 10 pound butts you have a lot of meat without bark.

Thankfully no! I used to put ketchup on hotdogs, though ... I got better ... 🙁 ...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I put ketchup on scrambled eggs. Any sandwich with bacon and beef. Mustard for me corn dog and hot dog.

No never...

Comment

[shudder]. This shouldn't make me mad but it does. I wouldn't boil hotdogs when I was a kid even though mom wanted to, but pulled pork you're intending to serve to guests? Wassupwitdat?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I figured he cooked ahead to shorten the smoke time.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Even as a kid, the sight and smell of boiling hotdogs was enough to make my stomach turn.

Nope, but I'd done worse and used a crock pot while calling it BBQ.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, at least the flavor stays in there with a crock pot!

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I still use the crock pot during the winter. It isn't the same meal, but it is still excellent for what it is: just another way of preparing meat. All the flavor stays in the pot and the broth, it doesn't get tossed with the water.

You are kidding. Right?

Comment

The only meat I have ever boiled was corned beef

Comment

.....wrapped in foil wrapped in water.....same thing
          Red

Comment

Hmmm... we better check with the BBQ 👮 Par boiling a pork butt might get you 2 years behind bars.😡

Comment

• Juddlight
              Juddlight commented
              Editing a comment
              Or a Lombardi slap

I would never even think about doing this. Seems like you'd also leech out any of the connective tissues inside the butt as well. Kind of like boiling brats before grilling....

Comment

What's the big deal??? I have certainly boiled Pork butt.... but it was in lard.
              Last edited by HouseHomey; July 17, 2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Well you sure redeemed yourself with that last part!

• Mikey C
                Mikey C commented
                Editing a comment
                A little carnitas style?

I saw a pic of the butts. They were browned to some extent. No deep bark or anything. It was alright to some.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe they can make some of those frozen burritos/taquitos you pop in the micro at 3 am

Never boiled large meat or ribs, except corned beef. I'm assuming crock pot cooking doesn't exactly count, but purists may insist it does. Changed my ways now, but used to parboil chicken thighs before grilling on a gas grill. Really more of a full immersion SV than boiled chicken soup.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                eeeeekk. Those poor chicken thighs. Say it aint so. Boy, the things we all did....

Nope. I was a crock pot man, myself. But honestly, I think I had to look up what a pork shoulder was when I went to cook my first pulled pork from AR. And where to find it and what to look for. I had no idea. I had always made pulled beef in a crock pot, but never pulled pork.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                LOTTA stuff back home was pot roasted. But it was always browned first, and always needed plenty gravy for rice.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                That's just it! You can throw pretty much anything you want in the old croc pot. You all had rice with everything, it seems like. LOL.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Some how it seemed there was never enough gravy.

Is simmering sausage in a beer bath before grilling the same?

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I would say, yes. But this might be the only time it is acceptable.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                beer > water !

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here