Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to improve bark quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve bark quality?

Since last summer, I've adopted the hot and fast method (ala Patio Daddio) for smoking butts. The quality of the meat is outstanding but due to the mandatory crutch, the bark is always soft. Has anyone tried this method (or similar) by bringing the meat to desired temp then unwrap for say 30 or so minutes to firm up the bark? I've been tempted to do so but I don't want to diminish the quality of its tender smokey goodness.

You can definitely firm up bark by unwrapping. I doubt that you will diminish the tenderness of a butt much in 30 minutes. Butts are very forgiving.

Comment

If going hot and fast why is wrapping necessary?

Comment

If you have the time, wait until after the stall to wrap when it's at 180 or so...and/or, if you have the time, let the magic happen until it's completely ready to eat then instead of digging in, give it as much time as you want back in the smoker or hot oven to firm the bark back up.

Comment

Thanks gents....,

JB...I don't know why wrapping is necessary...I'm a rule follower and P Daddio said to do so, so I do The end product has been fantabulous...sans bark...which I love...and miss...and crave. Huskee, I will go full boar (sorry, couldn't resist) at 325ish on the next butt without wrapping just to see what's what. Worse comes to worse, my 9-5 crew pards will bat cleanup with nary a complaint....since free BBQ is always good BBQ

Comment

7x57mm Wrapping just speeds up the cook and reserves some au jus in the foil to drizzle back over the meat. Not wrappign coudl take 14, 16, 18, 22hrs you name it. It can give you a very bold thick bark in most cases, depending on what cooker you're using, and it can seem to 'condense' the flavors. I still prefer to wrap after the stall to save time & fuel and juices, but it's not mandatory...unless you mean for his particular recipe.

Comment

When it comes to wrapping I straddle the fence, no absolutes other than I absolutely want bark.

Once bark is established I have no problem wrapping. I'm not against wrapping, just wrapping before bark has been established.

Comment

Roger that gentlemen....@huskee, I went to the fast and furious method to avoid the 14-22 hr butt-athon. I'm running a Weber 22" kettle with the SNS. Low n' Slow at 225-250 simply took (takes) too much time. My kettle is cantankerous...it likes to run hot even when its cold and miserable outside....what little hair I have left was being pulled out trying to keep temps down. Keeping temps at 325ish is a snap...about as 7x57mm proof as it gets Jerod Broussard , I'll do a "hybrid" cook next time...wrap at 180 (I have not seen a stall in the last 1/2 dozen butts running at 300+) and take notes.

Comment

I'm with Jerod Broussard and Huskee on this one. Either no wrap at all, or wrap after the stall.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here