Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Louis Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis Ribs

A first for me...they have been cooking low and slow on my GMG at 225° since 11:30 a.m. Almost 5 hours. Using a good digital thermometer (although they are too thin) it reads 127°. They don't crack when lifted. They seem really fatty but the fascia and fat were trimmed. How much longer? How do I finish them with sauce? How do I reheat them? (Yes. I have to.)
    Attached Files

Oops! Did I say "my" GMG? I meant "our". ; )

Comment

They go from tight to loose really quickly. My last set of SL Ribs, I took one rack off and we ate it, it was good but a little tough. By the time we were done with that one, the other one was perfect.

Keep your eye on them, they'll be done soon, probably less than an hour.

Comment

Thanks! That was good info! Will watch closely. Should I put the sauce on now then and let them finish with it?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          You can put the sauce on now, but be careful if there is a lot of sugar in the sauce because it burns at a lower temp then most other ingredients. Another point is that using sauce straight from the fridge may lower the temp of the ribs.

5 hr's at 225 and no joy? Like Mosca said, you should only need another hour. And i don't normally have any leftovers of note, and when i do, i typiclly de-bone the ribs and utilize the meat in a variety of different ways... on a sammich, salad or chopped up and topped in more bbq sauce over nooodles. let your imagination be your guide!

Comment

Once they just hint at cracking using the bend test, crank the heat up and put the glaze on.

Comment

I'd pop that temp up to 250, it won't hurt anything. I can't say about the sauce, I'd rather be looking right at them before I'd say. But probably wouldn't hurt, I don't think anything is going to burn.

Comment

Or just finish them "nekkid" and offer sauce at the table... Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks everyone. They are done and ready to go! I appreciate the help! Cheers!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. Those look great.

Great looking finished product & you can call them yours!

Comment

Congratulations! Great-looking ribs.

Comment

As others have noted, 5 hours may not be enough time, especially with a meatier rack. Sauce just at the end. For reheating, cut any remaining ribs into 2 or 3 bone sections, wrap tightly in foil. When ready to reheat, wrap in new foil with BBQ sauce, put in 325 degree oven and heat through but don't overcook. It is never as good as fresh off the cooker but it works if you want ribs the next day. They are not great more than 48 hrs later.

Your ribs look great. Hope you enjoyed them.

Comment

Thanks everyone. They are pretty. But I don't think I am a fan of SLR. Sorry but they are too too fatty. I had good cuts and the flavor was o.k. with a nice smoke ring and good bark. However, I will make a different choice next time. Haven't smoked a pork shoulder yet...maybe that will be better.
                      Last edited by mfrese; July 7, 2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                        HorseDoctor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You may well be one of the people who prefer baby back ribs to St. Louis cut or spares.., To each his (her) own...I'm a spare rib fan from the git-go so won't argue other than to say I disagree! Fat is flavor!!!

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I prefer SLC ribs, but SWMBO prefers BB ribs, so I cook both. Actually, last time I cooked BBs for her and I cooked Beef Short Ribs for me!

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you like beef, try smoking a chuck roast or two. Very forgiving, like pork butt, awesome flavor!

I warm up Ribs Three at a time in the Microwave for about 1.5 minutes on high, taste great.

Comment

I am with you, I love the look of St. Louis but prefer baby backs as does the fam.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here