Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Ribs!

Hey all I Tweeted Meathead and he suggested posting here!

I make my ribs - Fast Eddie Style which 270 approx 3 hrs in my FEC120. The problem is when the ribs come out of the smoker they are so soft that the bones fall out of them as I cut them up. I also have a problem with my brisket where the bark falls right off when I slice them. I don't know if I am leaving too much fat one or if my NEW slicer knife is just garbage?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight

It sounds like they are over cooked.

Comment

What kind of ribs, (babybacks, SLC, etc)?
      Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy?
      Where is the thermometer located in the unit?

The more info you give us, the better we can help.

Comment

Sounds like the ribs are over cooked and the brisket had too much fat left on. Do you have any pictures?

With a brisket, you can flip it mid-cook (assuming no crutch) and get some of the fat cap to drop off into your drip tray (or cowboy beans).

With the ribs, start checking earlier.

As as others have said, the more information you have the better the diagnosis.

Comment

And, it could be that your knife needs to be sharpened!

Comment

All good info above. Overcooked ribs +/- dull knife is most likely. Bet they still tasted OK...

Comment

Welcome aboard! What have ya got against low & slow. Take a breath, relax, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome heffneil

Comment

Welcome aboard heffneil !

Looking forward to your responses to all the inquiries for more info above.

One thing that helped me tremendously is to just keep cooking, trying little adjustments along the way, with great help from AR and ThePit to boot. I kept cooking, making note of what I changed in my technique, and how it helped or didn't. You will learn each of your cookers this way, and what you like best.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                    Sounds like delicious ribs, pullin' off a lil' earlier oughta give th' bite/pull yer after!
                    Th' Great Thing about BBQ is we get to eat our mistakes!! YUM!!!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. I agree with the comments above, but bet the meat tasted great anyway.

Comment

Got nothing to add to the above comments ... except welcome from Colorado!

Comment

I just cooked some ribs yesterday and I think things were better. I do them "Fast Eddy" style which is about 3 hours at 270. They were pliable but I am always worried about undercooking. These turned out pretty good. Yes everything tastes VERY good - just the presentation is a little blah. I did have some bones of the ribs fall out.

I have this brand new slicer knife that was highly recommended but it kinda sucks. I do sometimes cut with an electric knife but that died on me a little while ago and I can't find a decent new one!

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

In the bbq world, meat that falls off the bone like that is considered overcooked.

In the world of Everyday Joe, meat that falls off the bone = OMG BEST RIBS EVER.

It really depends on who you're serving.

Personally, I have no problem with 'overcooked' ribs. I like to pull every rib bone out of the rack then chop the meat and toss with the foil pan drippings and maple syrup (bastardized Vermont Pig Candy) then briefly hit it with the torch to sticky up the glaze and serve it that way. It's probably one of the most complimented styles I do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here