Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many butts

My son ask me if I would be interested in smoking enough boston butts for his church annual summer cookout next year for about 300 people. My question is how many butts will feed that many people?

I am guessing about 19-20 eight pound butts ( estimating 1/2+ lb of meat per person )

Comment

Smarkley's estimate is good. If there will be a lot of sides, desserts, etc... you can adjust to as low as 1/4 lb per person.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Which makes a nice portion.

How much depends a lot on how you plan to serve.

steveos right 8ozs per is a good portion.

DONT forget to give yourself 25-30% for waste. Some may say higher depending on the cut and how you trim. Then you need to consider the actual yield on the butt.

Are you getting paid?

If so is it cost plus or by the head?

EDIT: If I had to order this right now I'd order 220lbs.

Keep in mind I have never feed more that 50 folks at a time. I'm sure other can add much more to this.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 24, 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

No Jon I'm not being paid. I will be donating the butts and my time ( for a good cause ). Others will be bringing the sides and buns and desserts.

Comment

You are a good man DW! God Bless You!!

Comment

Amen on the good cause. Your a good man my friend.

Based on that. 190lbs of raw butt or 220lbs of whole shoulder is what I would do.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              oh and make that for 301! I want to get me 6 oz sandwich off that Lang. Just sayin
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 24, 2014, 04:50 PM.

I use 1/2Lbs/per to be completely sure I have enough and I always have had too much. I recently did a party with 250 people and used 1/4Lbs, because we had three sides with buns, and I was stressed the whole time not knowing if I had enough, but in the end I had leftovers and didn't need to stress. I also tried to keep the butts around the 5lbs range to speed up the cook time. It may have cost me more because of it though. To control portions I like to serve, well some one serves, but this last one I could serve that many (no help), but I supplied plates so I decided to give them smaller than usual plates to limit the portion.

I have attached a link my simple spreadsheet I use for quick calculations when I get asked and I need to answer. Its a general guide and not gospel. I also have a check list in the spreadsheet so I don't forget something, again just quick down and dirty. Just copy and past this into your browser and once open click download in upper right corner.

Have fun

Mark

Comment

200 sounds about right to me, few Sam's cases for that good deal! I think this would be well more than enough based off of an assumption that you won't be providing all the food and that probably half of your eaters would be kids. I would bet 150 would do it but it is always good to be safe and sending food home with people who need it is always good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here