Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ribs are way too salty, ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ribs are way too salty, ideas?

So, I came across a thread that had a link to honey ham ribs. http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/honey-ham-ribs/ I've used recipes from this site in the past with no issues so I figured why not, I'm baching it, might as well give them a whirl. Followed the recipe, even though I hate cloves, closely as usual when making something for the first time. They did brine for 48 hours instead of the recommended 24 but I didn't think this would be that big of a game changer, well it was. Salty to the point of being inedible, any ideas what to do with them or just toss the evidence and move on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	974
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	342671

The texture looks good, but if you can't eat them . . . is it worth shredding the meat and making a soup out of it? I'm thinking of when I use a ham hock to make cannellini and kale stew, maybe you could shred this meat and do something like that? Worst case scenario you're out a couple of bucks for the beans and veg, since otherwise you might throw out the meat anyway. Jus don't salt the soup!!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thinking!

Did you:
    Use table salt instead of coarse Kosher?
    Inadvertently use tablespoons instead of teaspoons with the PP#1?
    Use 'enhanced' ribs?

Comment

As huskee mentioned, some ribs are injected before they are packed. If yours were, and you brined them, that would make them too salty.

Comment

The above mentioned posts would be my bet, unless you used a stir bought heavy in salt.

Comment

HAFoodie I was hoping for a quick fix to salvage dinner. I can see that isn't possible so I aggre, repurpose with no additional salt.
          Huskee As far as I recall all the measurements were accurate with the called for ingredients no substitutes. I am thinking enhanced ribs. At least it appears as the why they are to salty is resolved. The ribs did not come from my favorite butcher or Costco, picked them up on sale at Walmart for a ridiculously cheap price. Too cheap obviously. How can I tell in the future, I don't think I've seen a label in recent history for packaged meat that didn't have water added?

Comment

If only we could taste the raw meat before salting! My safest response is just skip the bargain bin ribs and stick to a brand that you know & love from previous cooks. Watch the sodium content in the Nutrition Facts (if it's on the label) or if listed in the 'enhanced with a solution of xxx" statement. Off hand I don't remember the 'normal' amounts though.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe you should work with a company like Thermoworks to develop a salinity probe and package it similar in size to an instant read thermometer like the Thermopop.

You could dice up the ribs and make a stir fry with rice. Rice is a sponge for salt and I think that would be what I'd do to salvage dinner.

Comment

Holly beat me to it, but soup stock is a sure winner, here...to repurpose th' salty ribs...
              HAFoodie
              Also, I like Huskee 's recommendation, quicker fix, if dinner is on th' line fer now...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 4, 2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I'm thinkin' debone them, freeze the meat, and look forward to some fine split pea and ... uh ... "ham" soup when the weather gets cooler.

Comment

I like the soup idea. The others are right, though. Last year I got ribs at Walmart that weren't "enhanced" or "tenderized". This year I can't find plain old ribs anywhere. So, the solution is to reduce the brine or to NOT dry brine depending on how much salt has already been added.

Comment

I have had pork that was not supposed to be salted or enhanced and it was salty. Now I just assume that most pork is salted at the packer. If it needs salt after the cook I salt it then. Thanks Meathead for salt free rub recipes. I agree with the posts above--make soup or stuffed green peppers or ??

Comment

I'm leaning toward the extra 24 hrs of brining as the culprit. I just don't think enhanced vs. not enhanced would make the difference between good and inedible. Maybe a combination of those 2 factors.

Comment

They would be great in a pot of beans.

Comment

I looked at that recipe. 3/4 cup of salt is an awful lot of salt for just 1 slab of ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here