Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork in The Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork in The Kettle

Hi guys, been a while. PC took a wrong turn and could not get it repaired for my first post on pull pork(first ever pulled pork). It turn out great, i just followed advice from everyone in the pit,.

Today I started the cook at 8:30am. Windy, hot weather here in Puerto Rico. It's a small pork butt, 4 lbs, so cook times , fingers crossed, should be shorter. Since we expect to eat around 7PM, should give me plenty of time.

Sorry no pictures, camera took a dump the same day pc decided to quit on me..

I'm still pushing on.

9:21am and the thermoworks report a steady 229.7F and meat temp is now 70.8f. I think i need to close just a bit the top vent.

Will keep you informed.

10:22AM and IT is rising steadily , current meat temp 120.8F, Kettle is 219.9F. Kettle temp has been ranging from a high of 239.9 , down to 215.5F. I guess the windy conditions are a big factor.

Comment

Sounds like you are moving along nicely. Good luck with the rest of the cook.

Comment

Wind may be kettle temp control's worst enemy. Fortunately, pork shoulder will withstand temperature fluctuations. You may need to tend your fire more than usual and you may burn more fuel in windy conditions but your final product will be good.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep! Since moving to Dallas the winds have me using my controller more than ever before.

12:18PM , It(meat temp) 153.1F, Kettle temp has risen to 232.7F. If it stays in that temp range of low 230's ok? Will it hurt final product? I don't intend on using foil.

thanks for response guys, all the help and cheering is welcome.

Comment

That temp is good. Pork can take higher heat. The 225 low and slo is just a guide.

Comment

Your cooker is running great for the conditions! The pork will be fine. Have fun.

Comment

Pork shoulder will be fine at higher temps. Temps in the 230s are nothing to worry about. This is one of the most important lessons I've learned from experience and the advice here in the Pit. I used to sweat/stress over keeping the cooker temp at 225 and was constantly adjusting the vents. Once I realized anything between 225-250 for almost anything I smoke is a good range, it became much more enjoyable. You'll have a great cook.

Comment

OMG, thanks, now to get some cold beers, while i also play World of Warcraft.

you guys are the bible of smoking.........thanks

Comment

4:03PM, Meat temp is 165.3F, Kettle ranging from 218.9F to 236.9F. I assume i have hit the stall. Not going to foil.
                  I have baked Beans to put in under on last hour..

Comment

Sounds like it is going fine! Watch the coals at this point. They are reduced significantly. You may need to knock some ash down to allow good air flow also.

Comment

5:38PM,IT is 173.3F and Kettle holding steady at 222.9F. I added some briquettes about half hour ago.

Comment

Hack one to experience," start pulled pork Q at 4AM". 8:07PM and meat temp is at 193.5F, kettle steady at 231.3F. Kettle temp been slowly dropping.
                        At what temp do i take it out? 198F or 203F?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Because of the 12 hours plus it takes I usually put them on overnight with a couple of hours in the faux cambro before serving at noon. I am thinking about cooking at 275 when I want to serve for supper. The Boston Butt is very forgiving so I think it could even take 300.

Take it out when a probe slides in like going in warm butter - no resistance.

Comment

If it is a bone-in shoulder, grab the bone with a kitchen towel and try to pull it out. If it slides out easily, it's ready to come off the cooker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here