Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time is of the Essence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time is of the Essence

I am smoking 8 lbs of pork loin today beginning at 7:30 a.m. at 225. Each section is about 3 " in the center. I have trimmed all silver skin and fat off and dry brined it overnight. Do I need to baste them with anything and if so, when? How long will they take? Midwest storms are rolling in around 3 p.m. this afternoon so I want them off and in by 2.
    Attached Files

No need to baste but I do mist them some with apple juice after the first hour and a half then every 30-45 minutes.

3.5 - 4 hours usually are what mine take. You can run them higher temp if needed.

You can roll them on hot grates at the end to firm up bark if needed. I cook to around 145 internal temp.

Comment

Thanks Nate! That is very helpful.

Comment

I personally would not baste as it may take off whatever you already have for seasoning/rub. That is a pretty lean piece of meat and you should be off long before the storm. If you choose you you can put some sauce or such towards the end of food the cook.

Full disclosure I've only done a about a dozen of those and it was a year and a half ago for someone who was weight watching and wanted flavor.and smoke taste on lean meat.

Good luck. I heard of tornados on the news this morning. I hope that's not your area.

Comment

Thanks. They are at 140 right now. 5 hours at 225. But I think it is really about 10 pounds. I am not basting or misting. I had to leave the house so they just cooked low and slow on their own. Tornadoes ... the worst is south of us.

Comment

If you find it a tad dry, you could try cooking them much hotter next time, at say 325-350. You can cut your cook time down to maybe 2hrs and prevent a little extra drying out which can happen with lean meat like loin from a prolonged cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here