Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 lb Boston butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 lb Boston butt

My boy, who is 21 brings me this 10 lb Boston but this afternoon and tells me this is for his friends, he hands me a bottle of Dale's seasoning sauce and he hands me a bottle of zesty Italian salad dressing. I asked him what do you want me to do with this, he said pick one or the other and marinate it and cook it with your Slow n Sear on the Weber. My question is this has any of you guys or gals ever marinated a 10-pound Boston butt in Dale's seasoning sauce or zesty Italian salad dressing and if so how long do I let it marinate. This is going to be used for sliced pork not pulled​.

I haven't used either for a pork butt... have used Italian salad dressing on chicken a lot. Dales is good on burgers.

Honestly marinades like Italian dressing won't really penetrate that deep. You almost would need to have it sliced first then marinade it so you can have more surface area which is where the marinade is going to live. At least that is my thought. Could be wrong...

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
      Jimmie Rhoden commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing but you know kids they want to do things their way

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. May have a good idea about the injection but be careful with Dales. A little goes a long way in my opinion.

• Jimmie Rhoden
      Jimmie Rhoden commented
      Editing a comment
      I have did some marinating with Dale's before but I've never did a whole Boston butt with Dale's marinade that stuff is potent and I don't know of anyone who's did a 10 pound Boston butt marinated with Dale's not sure how long to let it marinate

I'd be inclined to marinate and also inject. Or, once your son is out of the house, go ahead and do it the way you know how and let his friends experience some great sliced shoulder.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if it would be more feasible if I spritzed the 10-pounder with Dale's throughout the cooking process I will be cooking low and slow 225 to 250 degrees, with a few cold beers or more and nothing else to do maybe I should just Spritz with my sprayer. I have used Dale's seasoning on a lot of things but it was on short quick marinades 10-15 minutes and I have used the zesty Italian salad dressing for things like chicken or country cut pork ribs but never a 10 pound Boston butt that's a big hunk of meat. About ruled out the zesty Italian salad dressing

Comment

I'm putting this baby on Southeast Alabama time around 8 a.m. I'll be sure to read any post that come up between now and then

Comment

I have never marinated a Boston Butt, but have routinely cooked den pounders at 225 for 12 hours plus on my BGE without wrapping. If you are planning on serving before 8 or 9 pm I would consider cooking at 275 and wrapping at 160. If younfinish early you can always hold it in a faux cambro for 2-4 hours. I don't see any point in marinating or spritzing. Injecting might make sense.

Comment

Marinating is a wasted of ypur time and Dales seasoning. Dry brine per usual and then (maybe not usual) wrap at the stall but pour Dales on the meat and into the foil--maybe two tablespoons). Unwrap at about 190 and let the bark firm up to slicing temperatures. Save the Dale's seasoned juices from the wrap to pour over the slices.

Comment

That sounds legitimate! I have done a few for sliced - I cook a day early, refrigerate overnight and slice cold. Usually debone before cooking makes slicing much easier. Reheat in a foil pan with some of the drippings on top. Makes good sandwiches.

Comment

Jimmie Rhoden let me know how you cooked it and how it turned out. Boston Butt is a very forgiving piece of meat and I will be surprised if your son and his guest are disappointed no matter how you decided to cook it.

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
                  Jimmie Rhoden commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not use the Dales marinade nor the zesty Italian salad dressing.

Ive used zesty italian in beef roast and cooked it for italian beef and made a wonderful spicy beef

Comment

I decided to go my own route today with this 10lb butt just off the top of my head and experiment, half a cup of stone-ground mustard, one third cup of brown sugar, one third cup white sugar, one tablespoon ginger powder, one tablespoon Rosemary powder. I rub the meat down with coarse kosher salt and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Rinsed off in the morning and then added the very thick paste to the meat and put on my 26 inch Weber grill.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never used a paste on a Butt before, but I'll bet your
                    mix will work just fine. I usually put on a thick coat of yellow mustard (cheaper than stone ground) and put on all the rub it can hold.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did it my way!

Sound like it will be delicious!

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
                    Jimmie Rhoden commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So far is turning out pretty good

​so far so good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here