Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funky -bad bad funk- Costco ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funky -bad bad funk- Costco ribs

Generally I love Costco, but in the last 2 months I've bought 4 different cryovac'ed packs of baby-back ribs. 2 of them have been bad. Not bad tasting, but bad smelling. Not the initial whif of bad when you break the seal, but some serious room-filling funk that causes family to make faces 30 minutes after they're opened. Bad bad. Returned them both without issue, but what a PITA when Costco is 25 minutes away and your cook plans hit a big delay.

Anyone else having any issues with Costco ribs and funky funk, or have I just been unlucky?

I have never had a problem, but I have heard others here say they have.

Comment

what part of the country?

Comment

• trasmc
        trasmc commented
        Editing a comment
        Indianapolis - we have two (one North-side and one South-side) and I've had 1 bad pack from each.

I just bought ribs from (a PNW) Costco the first time this past week. The ribs were from JBS Swift in CO. No issues with mine, but a very small sample size.

Comment

I doubt this helps, but look at the bright side. Costco is ONLY 25 minutes away, it takes me 2.5 hours to get there.

Comment

• trasmc
          trasmc commented
          Editing a comment
          I know - I shouldn't complain!

I bought a pack of the baby back ribs last Saturday from Costco and they had an odor also, not a really bad odor but enough that I noticed it. The odor didn't seem like an odor from spoiled meat but it was rather strong when I first took a sniff of it, almost like the odor from dry aged beef without the beef smell if that makes any since. When I got them cleaned up and salted the odor seamed to go away so I cooked one slab of them Sunday after leaving them in the fridge to dry brine overnight and had no problem with them, they tasted good and did not have an off taste what so ever and they did not make either myself or my wife sick. I have the other 2 racks that were in the package in the freezer, I don't know if they will still have the odor when I thaw them out to cook or not, I guess I will find out when that time comes.

Comment

This sometimes happens during the transport process and usually you will notice a bit more "Schmear" inthe package. It's when the package gets cold, warms up cold again etc....

Thats all I got unless they just have stinky hogs.

Comment

• trasmc
            trasmc commented
            Editing a comment
            So Schmear is bad. Got it. Stay away from Visible Schmear - sounds like good advice for life in general. Or an 80s punk band.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It's good in a bagel too! trasmc like said below.

A funky smell when opening cryovac-ed pork ribs is not unusual and nothing to be worried about. Just rinse them off and pat them dry.

Comment

I know this might raise an eyebrow, but, before I started getting mine from a local butcher when hogs come in, I was getting wibs at Aldi. $1.79 a lb for a full slab and they were good. Recently I've been getting them, as I said at butcher not wrapped, just laying there, for 99 cents a lb. & fresh.

Comment

There is funk and there is FUNK! Ynette bought some ribs from Costco last year, and when I opened the package she started to gag. They were pretty bad. Costco was easy on the return, and luckily it is only two miles away. Last week she picked up a pork butt from a local Mexican chain (quarter mile as the crow flies, and where we buy all our pork) and it was pretty stinky. The manager was quite apologetic and personally picked out a bigger one at no extra charge. It can happen. I wouldn't risk cooking something if it was that bad.

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here