Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on new smoker

First cook in the new smoker 4 racks SL cut & 1 rack baby-back ribs using the smoker as a stick burner (1st time for me using wood) Thanks to all those who posted how to start the fire in a stick burner. This is quite a bit different than my horizontal modified COS. Am using the rib racks that came with the smoker if they work out I may order another set as I will have 9 racks of baby backs & 6 racks of beef ribs to do on the 4th of July for our extended family. I’ll be doing pulled pork & pulled beef the day before sense they take so long & people can heat some up & make sandwiches during the day while waiting for dinner. (anyway that worked well last year). Well it looks like the stock rib racks are not the best thing with out a shelf under them the ribs fall out, I’ll have to think what I can do with them. Had to pull the ribs Cut & use webber racks on a shelf. had trouble with temp. could not get it high enough until I removed the water pan, wouldn’t get over 200°F. after removal held 235°F with 1 spike to 300°F wen I wasn’t watching.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0471.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.80 MB ID:	335098
    Ribs in stock rib racks This didn't work very well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0473.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.64 MB ID:	335099
    Finished but not the best I have made. They were dry brined overnight & coated with MMD

Ribs tasted great & were very moist & tender, but I think they could have gone a little longer. Due to temp problems they cooked for 6 hrs.&15min.
    Didn’t last long enough to get photos of all when done but they all looked just about like these 2 1/2 slabs.
    Last edited by Darchie03; June 19, 2017, 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Looks delicious. Just have to have 1 or 20 more practice sessions and you'll figure out what works for that particular cooker. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Nice work! It sounds like your best idea was removing that water pan. When doing ribs, 235 F to 300 F is just fine. Let it ride brother!!!

Comment

First time on a new smoker??? Wish I was that good......

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not that good just learning, it's called blind luck & ignorance in this case.
          Dave

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't sell yerself short, them's fine lookin' ribs!
          Nice Job of cookin', an' adaptin' to th' situation!!!

Yeah Hogjaws, I hate guys like Darchie03. Love what they do, looks great!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Are your racks square or rectangular? If square, you could turn them 90* to support the ribs. And it looks like you have the temp probe above the ribs. Could that be giving you a reading a bit higher than the temp where the ribs are?

Comment

RonB, The racks are 2 piece & they fit in holes in the supports for shelves & the distance between them is to far the ribs just bend in the middle & drop out of the racks even after I put a shelf under them for support. I need about 2 more of the racks in between but I would half to install mounts for them, then they would not be adjustable in height. So I may do that if I can settle on one location for the rack.
              I also have a temp probe below them, I am still learning to use this smoker & learning to use a stick burner all at the same time, so I’m monitoring temps. at different places in the smoker so I know where to put different meats for the large cook of the 4th of July.
              Dave

Comment

I just went to your post showing the smoker. Would it be possible to drill additional holes in the support brackets to move the rib racks closer together? Or you could just take two additional lengths of L bracket and drill holes in them, then set them on the current brackets. If the holes are sized correctly, the rib racks would hold them in place when installed, and you could space the rib racks much closer together.

Comment

• Darchie03
                  Darchie03 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can't drill holes as support brackets are not full length have a gap in the middle might be able to use more steel in the existing brackets though.
                  Thanks, Dave

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what I was trying to say - steel brackets to cover the gap.

• Darchie03
                  Darchie03 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That,s what I thought you were saying, I just hadn't thought of that until you said it,
                  Thanks, Dave

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here