Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMO Failure. Sad face.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO Failure. Sad face.

Picked up a 5lb pork butt for my first smoke on a 18.5 WSM or so I thought. Discovered it was actually the picnic ham when I started to trim the fat and dry brine. I didn't think much of it and continued per instructions. Well the butt was on for 12 hours at an avg temp of 245 and came out IMO way to smokey and dry. I used the donut method and placed 3-4 chunks in the ring. I had to add briquettes for the last few hours to keep the temp up and push on. I only got the IT to 198 before family was starving. Pulled the meat off and it pulled okay but I was disappointed in the taste and dry-ness of it. My last major concern was I ended up with ash all over the meat. I'll try to upload some pics now. I'm open to suggestions on what I did wrong.
    ​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170618_0635387.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	334847 on at 6:30am

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170618_1823192.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	334849 had a bit of an ash problem.

Comment

12 hours at 245 and only 198 IT? Did it stall?

Comment

• mattyb05
          mattyb05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep for probably 5 hours. It was insane.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have wrapped it, personally.

How close was the probe to the bone. That could affect temps giving a lower temp than the rest of the meat. That would result in it over cooking.

Comment

• mattyb05
          mattyb05 commented
          Editing a comment
          About a 1/2" from the bone. Went in and hit the bone then pulled the probe back approximately 1/2".

Did you have water in the pan? Also, depending on the calibration of your thermometer, it may have been done and you didn't know it. Should have been done at about 8 hours or so.

Comment

• mattyb05
          mattyb05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, had warm water in the pan from the start. Haven't calibrated my thermometer. That may be something to look into. Any thoughts on why so much ash? Smoker was cleaned before I started.

• 6th Borough BBQ
          6th Borough BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've only had ash on 1 occasion; the lid was sticking and a vacuum was created when it was pulled/forced off the top. Never happened again after seasoning of the rim that the lid sits on. If your lid was sticking you can use Pam on the lip to season it. After that it pulls off east without a vacuum.

Little trick I learned from a BBQ Class I took recently, when your butt finishes a bit dry, add apple juice to it, it'll wake the butt right up.

Comment

Definately wrap at stall or when rub doesn't come off when you rub it with your finger. However you like your bark. Make sure water pan isn't more the half full when smokin. Take out at wrap stage. Don't be afraid to crank him up to 275-300. You'll cut your cook time in half.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here