Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking for the Future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking for the Future.

So, it seems I was missing an opportunity when I revealed I only cooked a single 4lb pork butt instead of cooking several at once. I'll not repeat that mistake!

What would the common practice be? Do all the "pulling" at once, or freeze it whole and shred them one at a time? I can kind of see it either way. And I DO have a good vacuum bagging machine.

What are the limitations? Ribs freeze well? Brisket? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Mike S.

Re: Pulled pork: In my (limited but thus far successful) experience, my wife and I shred everything at once, and then freeze in ziplock bags (enough for one future meal per bag). We reheat in a pan on the stove. We enjoy the reheated stuff just as much as the "fresh" stuff. Haven't tried freezing anything other than pulled pork though.

Comment

When it comes to pulled pork it really depends on how fast you are wanting to reheat it. Obviously it will take a lot longer time to reheat a whole butt. Also I am not sure about food safety when it comes to trying to freeze a cooked butt then thawing it. They both take a lot of time and I don't know if it is longer than should be safely done.

Personally I shred, portion it out to meal size bags, add in some of the reserved juices, and freeze. So if we want pulled pirknine night all I have to do is get a bag or two and thaw and heat.

Comment

IMHO. The first question to ask is ALWAYS "how will it be used" then go from there. I freeze in the least finished way possible for my future use.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Always begin with the end in mind.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          👏👏👏... "How will it be used" & "Alway begin with the end in mind" if more people thought like that the normal learning curve would be much shorter. Things are NOT nearly as complicated as people try to make it. Relax... think it through all of the way to the end.🤔

I pull everything before portioning it into 1 pound portions on my digital scale. Knowing that each bag contains exactly one pound gives me guidance as to how many bags to use.

You have to know that one of the greatest benefits of having a Sous Vide circulator is reheating leftover food. Your reheated pull Pork will taste as if it were freshly pulled after coming out of your cambro.

Leftover ribs...🙄 HaHaHa... whoever heard of such a thing.🙈 If that occurs bring them to room temperature and vacuum seal them. Put them in the freezer and when you want to reheat them, put them in the hot tub directly out of the freezer. Give them a couple of hours at 135° and then put them under the broiler to dry out the bark some... chow down.

Brisket... the same process as pulled pork using slices instead of pulled meat.

Smoked pulled chuckies... same as pulled pork.

Another thing you can prepare ahead of time is Steakhouse Steakburgers. Grind the meat and add the spices. Portion into 6 or 8 ounces patties and then vacuum seal them in your SV bags. I do a dozen patties at a time. Then stick them in the freezer.

When I want a hamburger for lunch I set my hot tub up in the morning while I wait for my coffee to brew. I set the bath water at 135° and drop in 1 or 2 frozen patties out of the freezer. Then I go about my day and forget about my hot tub cooking my patties. When I'm hungry I remove the SV bags from the hot tub, remove the patties and blot the moisture off of them and sear them in my cast iron skillet. Nothing can be easier.🤗

I always cook a little extra because I know that my leftovers will be almost as good as they were off of the grill. That way I always have something good to eat without eating retail fast food.😡
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 18, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah, shred, portion, reheat gently with SV or faux SV. Goo goog good.

Comment

Many paths to Great BBQ...
            If/when I have a glut of Butt, I freeze th' whole shebang; Warm, pull...when needed.
            Personally, I feel like th' whole mass retains moisture better...
            Y'all's Mileage May Vary!

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm... the whole mass retains moisture better.🤔 When shredded pulled pork is reheated in a vacuum sealed bag it loses no, zero, zilch moisture at all. When reheat ANY other way without being sealed in a vacuum bag... you're going to lose moisture and get a dryer product.

I'm sitting with SWMBO next to me. Me: I need a Joule. SWMBO: need or want? Me: Breadhead says I need one "that way I always have something good to eat without eating retail fast food." SWMBO: can you make that tip stuff that tastes like steak so i can have it whenever I want and your not here? Me: yup SWMBO: why haven't you ordered it yet? You should order it. Me 🤔🤔🤔 it's a trap) ok honey, let me your hint about it.

is it a trap?? Breadhead something is fishy. Mr. Bones what do ya think?

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Pull that trigger now! DO NOT hesitate! Do not pass go. Do not pay $200! I saw Joule on sale for $149 the other day.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Why haven't you ordered it yet... that statement is MCS nirvana.👏👏👏👏😆

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              The New All Plastic Joule is at an even lower price point, IIRC.

I don't know about women
            Don't know nuthin' bout love
            One thing in the whole wide world
            You can be sure of
            All whiskey ain't the same
            Good moonshine....
            Burns with a Clear Blue Flame
            here
            Fire In Th' Hole, Y'all!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

When I freeze pulled pork in ziplock bags I smash the bag flat. It reheats much quicker that way. Don't tell anyone, but I reheat in a microwave on about 50% power for maybe a minute, then massage the bag to mix up any cold/warm areas then finish reheating. Most of my bags are about 1/2 to 3/4 lb.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I promise not to tell. If I were to admit to reheating in a microwave I guess I would have to admit to wetting a paper towel first and wrapping the meat in the paper towel so it stays moist. Of course, that's only if I were to admit that.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Works fer me, fuzzydaddy !
                Nuthin' to tell;never happened...
                What? I thought that's what th' microwave was fer??? lol!

You gots ta buy the Joule!

Comment

For me it depends. If I want to add some sauce and reheat in a crockpot for a slightly different flavor/purpose, I freeze in chunks. If my wife is going to use it with a Colorado sauce, I preserve in chunks. If I am going to use "as is" I pull and put in vacuum packed bags. I may SV it or I may just use it for enchiladas with green sauce.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I freeking love chunk o pork in a green sauce!!!!

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey - So do I!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here