Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Pork Shoulder in a week, should I salt and rub now or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Pork Shoulder in a week, should I salt and rub now or wait?

I've dressed 4 shoulders for a big party. Trussed them up and was going to salt and rub today then BBQ tomorrow and refrigerate for a week. Now that I've read more about that, I'll wait to BBQ till the party. But the meat's all prepped would it be OK to salt and rub now? Thanks,

Charlie

Personally I'd wait a few days, but someone more knowledgeable may have a different answer. I'd be afraid it would start curing and tasting like bologna.

Comment

I typically dry brine 12 to 24 hrs. Great results!

Comment

If an intense smoke ring is your thing, you can salt, rub and freeze those guys now and put them straight into the smoker on the big day.

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with that statement Steve, the best one I have done was exactly what you said seasoned frozen then straight to the grill from the freezer. Best smoke ring I have ever had!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

I'm going off of memory from reading those glorious Meathead & Blonder articles on Salt and Smoke, but I don't think it hurts to salt early. The curing, if my memory is correct, is from the type of salt/amount. The article talks about how long you have to let the salt dry brine to get to the center of a thick cut like a Pork Shoulder, and it was in that 24-36 hour mark.

All this is making me want to go re-read those articles!

Comment

Welcome chazbarrett

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and great info. I'll update my intro when I'm done with this party...my wife's 50th! I'm going to wait to salt until the day before BBQ...prepped my son because I'm out of town. He's on it though.

Thanks guys,

Charlie

Comment

This is just off the top of my head, but in the future you might want to consider letting the salt diffuse into the meat before tying.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here