Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iberico Secreto - The Pig's secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iberico Secreto - The Pig's secret

Iberico secreto, or the pig’s secret, is a marvelous cut. It is hidden between the neck and the shoulder blade. It is well marbled and very juicy and tender. The name refers to the Spanish breed of pigs (the Iberian peninsula is Spain and Portugal), and ‘secreto’ means secret.

It is a small cut of meat, it typically weighs 10-15 oz and is 1/2 inch thick, so it cooks quickly. I made sandwiches with these, stuffed with coriander and sliced peaches, such a fresh combo.

I grilled them on furious heat, 1 minute per side, then sliced. That's it!

The raw meat, check out that marbling

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iberico_secreto1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	333221

Get that grill searing hot

Name:	Iberico_secreto2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	333219

The meat, seared and ready to bring in

Name:	Iberico_secreto3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	333220

Here I have sliced it, roughly 140° F inner temp

Name:	Iberico_secreto4.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	333218

And the sandwich, with sliced peaches and coriander.

Name:	Iberico_secreto5.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	333217

If you haven't tried Iberico Secreto, you must. It really melts in your mouth.

Henrik I haven't had the pleasure, nor have I heard of that secreto before, so thank you for sharing.

I do however want to eat that sammich for dinner, like right now, at my desk at work.

Comment

Gotta get me a sammich like that 'un!

Comment

You're a man of distinctive taste. Thanks for the tip - I was unaware of that cut. But now that I know where it is on my own bod, I'll be keeping an eye out for opportunities to get it. Does it come attached to something else, or do you have to ask the butcher for it?

Comment

This has got to be great! Any of you butchers / anatomy experts know how we should be asking for this? Nice job, nice share Henrik.

Comment

I wonder if that gets made into sausage here? Never heard of it but I agree it looks incredible. That sammich is superb!

Comment

Thank you all! I'm cooking a few more on Saturday, this is my new pork favorite.

Huskee is spot on, this is usually ground into sausages. It is covered in fat, so the butcher kind of needs to 'dig it out'. But go ask your butcher, there are some references and pictures online too. Or use my photo, when butchers' see a picture they'll know where it is, since it has such characteristic marbling.

Comment

Hmmm, this sounds like the same Iberico "black hoof" pigs that Iberico Jamon comes from.

If so, does it have a nutty flavor? I have had the pleasure of eating quite a bit of jamon iberico - like a prosciutto from Italy but creamier and nutty flavor from the grazing on acorns in the forest the last year of their life.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And what a wonderful thing it is!

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is the same 'black foot' pigs. There are three 'qualities' of meat, where bellota (the ones eating acorns only) are the best. No, not so nutty, but very rich, and tasty.

It looks like fajitas (skirt steak). According to Steven Raichlen, what cut (muscle) is called the secreto seems to vary depending on what butcher you talk to.

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/10/14/...cret-cut-pork/

Of course, our main concern is how do you prepare it and how does it taste?

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It does resemble a skirt steak somewhat, but If I had the secreto and the skirt next to each other I could spot the 'real one' quickly. The flavor is really rich, hard to describe, but very succulent.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Henrik , I envy you your good fortune in finding it. Your preparation of it looks fantastic.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here