Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crockpot BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid and someone said, "Let's have BBQ!", we all got the same thing. (I never called it pulled pork, cause it was BBQ.). Later in life, I learned that you could actually find different things and that some folks called them BBQ also! Hey, I don't judge--it was just very difficult to order the first time I was at a restaurant where there were sliced, pulled, chopped every different type of BBQ. I had to see pictures to find out that what I wanted was pulled pork!

Long story longer; if it weren't for AR and you fine folks in the Pit, I may have been STILL making crock pot pulled pork and thinking it tastes just fine! Not only can I smoke a pork butt and pull it into amazing BBQ, I have learned to cook ribs, Brisket, chicken, Turkey, and Pastrami on my outdoor cookers!

i love this Pit and the great conversations! Some people just don't know, yet!

Comment

I think crock pot pulled pork is mighty tasty. But of course smoked pork is mighty tastier!

Comment

I do lots of stuff in the crock pot, including pulled pork. I think it makes good food and I enjoy using it. But I bought a smoker for a reason. I'll keep doing it both ways. Only one qualifies as BBQ on its own, though.

Comment

The crock pot will probably work for a potluck. If I can't find the time to put it on the smoker, I use the pressure cooker...

Comment

I think some stuff can be done to help it get some smoke. For example if you have some bacon you have smoked on hand. The edges have a very strong smoke flavor that could be added to aide the liquid smoke. The liquid you are braising the shoulder in will dilute it but still better than nothing in my book.

Comment

Ok. For parties to eat three times a year I

1. Prep butts for two days, one with salt, next day MMD. Then I braise the butts in 600 pans with aromatics and leftover braising liquid from previous cooks that I've had going for two years and home made pork stock. I then hold the meat in 5 crock pots. I pull it, add season (MMD) and addd the decreased and strained jus back to the meat. Served with slaw, BBQ sauce and white bread/soft buns and mustards, pickles and peppers on the side.

I promise you this. ITS AMAZING!! And no way you can eat just one. I also promise you this. It's not BBQ. I don't even call them pulled pork sammies. I call them pork sandwiches. Period. No one minds or calls it BBQ. A few call them "pulled pork" and we then have great conversation.

im with Spinaker, DWCowles, FireMan and tbob4 it ain't BBQ and I would never argue with Mosca mom either. Good is Good. Period.

Just think of where the word comes from, that was pit and spit cooking.

some one said cmon over for a BBQ....lol.... we're bbq'ing costo patties and franks. You should try my BBQ chicken... don't worry about the black, that's just flavor and it's ok to eat medium rare. I digress as always but I'm cracking myself up.

As fer Mr. Bones .... well what can you say. Great points though. I think fine sir... while most of us can agree on what/how is/to BBQ, fire, ssmoke, low n slow and bark. I'm not sure we know when it stops being BBQ. But we all kinda agree what it is not.
              Thats my 1.5 cents. I was short.
              Last edited by HouseHomey; June 14, 2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I use the crock-pot to reheat smoked butts using a rainbird temperature controller, it is the $30 SV solution I use to find out if I would use a more expensive SV machine enough to purchase one. The answer is no, I don't use it enough so I just use my cheap water bath.

Comment

AND further more, we would have to welcome people to "the Pot"!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent point sir!! my pot only holds one at a time.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here