Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have experience or knowledge of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have experience or knowledge of this?

Would like to know the details of how to do this. Temps rotations time etc etc
    Attached Files

Looks like racks of short ribs

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef, that is.

Well, they cook just like laying them out in a slab really. No difference that I have found. Funny, I did a very old video rolling up my ribs. Sometimes you have too. I flip them around a time or two to get even heat. But my friend, ribs are done when they are done.

Gosh, this brings it back...

Smoked up some baby backs today and decided to grab the Flip cam!

Comment

• Lowjiber
      Lowjiber commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, well done video Lonnie mac

Thanks for the share.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      As soon as I saw the White Lab shirt I said to myself, "This guy is a fellow homebrewer" If I'm ever through Texas I hope to get an invitation to sample that lovely pint glass you had there. Ah, Texas, land of beef, BBQ, and kick ass singer/songwriters. Keep up the good work, amigo!

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Yep. That shirt came with my 2007 national gold medal! I have all but worn it out these days.

Those are pork ribs that has been folded over with stewers to hold them together. Just flip them half way through the cook for even cooking.

Comment

This is my preferred method of cooking baby backs or SLC. I like to flip them over at some point just to even things out. Shouldn't really need to rotate when using the SnS, at least I have never felt the need.

Comment

First smoker I got was a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Coiled up was the only way I could get ribs onto the cooker. Worked just fine, but it was before the AR Pit and I never took any photos. Worked with Baby Back Ribs and Spare Ribs. Given the amount of meat outside of the bone ring, I would guess those are Baby Backs in the photo. On SLC spares most of the meat is between the bones.

Three points.

1. Flip the coiled ribs top to bottom half way through the cook, just to get more even temperatures across the ribs.

2. When I skewered the ribs, I didn't let the ends touch each other. Let the skewers hold them apart at the ends. That way all of the ribs got browned. With the amount of overlap in the photo, you'll get unbrowned ribs (top of rib) on one end and unbrowned ribs (bottom side) on the other end.

3. I could get 2 slabs coiled on one grate of the 14.5 WSM. If I had really tried, I probably could have gotten 3 to fit, but I never needed to do that, so I didn't try. If I wanted to use both grates, I could have cooked 4 slabs at one time on the little cooker.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• jgg85234
          jgg85234 commented
          Editing a comment
          I had one of the really thin probes from Thermoworks, and since I mostly did spare ribs, I could watch the temperature with the remote. Did the toothpick test for doneness, rather than the bend test. Cook time at 225 was still about 5 hours for BBs and 6 hours for SLC spares.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        Those are pork ribs that has been folded over with stewers to hold them together. Just flip them half way through the cook for even cooking.
        Flip you mean top to bottom ? Not as in rotate 180 degrees? not rotating distance to coals?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Top to bottom

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
        This is my preferred method of cooking baby backs or SLC. I like to flip them over at some point just to even things out. Shouldn't really need to rotate when using the SnS, at least I have never felt the need.
        Flip you mean top to bottom ? Not as in rotate 180 degrees? not rotating distance to coals?

Comment

Originally posted by jgg85234 View Post
          First smoker I got was a 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Coiled up was the only way I could get ribs onto the cooker. Worked just fine, but it was before the AR Pit and I never took any photos. Worked with Baby Back Ribs and Spare Ribs. Given the amount of meat outside of the bone ring, I would guess those are Baby Backs in the photo. On SLC spares most of the meat is between the bones.

Three points.

1. Flip the coiled ribs top to bottom half way through the cook, just to get more even temperatures across the ribs.

2. When I skewered the ribs, I didn't let the ends touch each other. Let the skewers hold them apart at the ends. That way all of the ribs got browned. With the amount of overlap in the photo, you'll get unbrowned ribs (top of rib) on one end and unbrowned ribs (bottom side) on the other end.

3. I could get 2 slabs coiled on one grate of the 14.5 WSM. If I had really tried, I probably could have gotten 3 to fit, but I never needed to do that, so I didn't try. If I wanted to use both grates, I could have cooked 4 slabs at one time on the little cooker.

Best regards,
          Jim
          I saw in your comment you mentioned toothpick test. What is that?

Comment

• Gooner-que
            Gooner-que commented
            Editing a comment
            Use a toothpick to test the ribs, if it slides into the meat like butter they are done.

• jgg85234
            jgg85234 commented
            Editing a comment
            Learn from the master - @Meathead.

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

jgg85234 You got a picture of how you do the skewers so the ends don't overlap? I'm wanting to try this!

Comment

I have an 18" kettle, and in order to cram a rack of St Louis ribs on just one side, AND get the lid on, I had to cut the slab in half, and skewer both into a U shape. It wasn't pretty, but through this process I realized it doesn't have to be. As long as they are in the smoker and you're doing what you're supposed to - when they come off the grill, they pull apart and taste great just like doing it any other way.

To be super OCD, I flipped mine top to bottom, AND rotated them 180 degrees at another point in the cook, just to be on the safe side. Can't say for sure it made a difference, but it made me feel better.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo May 20, 10 36 29 AM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	329304
            These turned out great and tasted awesome! (used Memphis Dust)

I did the toothpick test to test mine, but David Parrish told me I could also do the "un-bend" test. Either of those should work.
            Last edited by j_keegan; June 7, 2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

No never took any of this. And lately, I've been cooking the ribs on my KJ. Big disadvantage of the WSM is cleanup time, not anything to do with the cook.

Anyway, I'll try to describe it. Start one end with a wood skewer between ribs 2 and 3 from the top side of the ribs. Coil the rib so it ends up inside of the starting end and push the skewers( works best with 2) through (again the top side of the ribs). Ends up a slightly open circle with all of the ribs exposed to heat. The skewers are keeping the ends of the ribs from touching each other. I would do a picture but I don't have any ribs at the moment.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by j_keegan View Post
                I have an 18" kettle, and in order to cram a rack of St Louis ribs on just one side, AND get the lid on, I had to cut the slab in half, and skewer both into a U shape. It wasn't pretty, but through this process I realized it doesn't have to be. As long as they are in the smoker and you're doing what you're supposed to - when they come off the grill, they pull apart and taste great just like doing it any other way.

To be super OCD, I flipped mine top to bottom, AND rotated them 180 degrees at another point in the cook, just to be on the safe side. Can't say for sure it made a difference, but it made me feel better.
                Click image for larger version Name:	Photo May 20, 10 36 29 AM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	329304
                These turned out great and tasted awesome! (used Memphis Dust)

I did the toothpick test to test mine, but David Parrish told me I could also do the "un-bend" test. Either of those should work.
                Whats the unbend test?

Comment

What are amazing ribs? When I judge barbecue, here's what I look for: Appearance, scent, pork flavor, seasonings, smoke, sauce, texture, and balance.

UNK If you check the Last Meal Ribs recipe (above), step 11 shows you a picture of the "bend test" and has a description of it.

I had asked Dave what to do since my ribs were already going to be "bent" and he said do the "un-bend test". Basically, you just move them around and see if they react that way described in the link. However, I just ended up using the toothpick test and it worked fine too.

Comment

Some reason my picture didn't add
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here