Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Injection Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Injection Safety Question

Maybe this has been asked here before. If so, I apologize.

Is it safe to inject my brisket with cold (35 degree) beef broth and then refrigerate the brisket overnight? Or must I follow the 40-140-4 rule for any injection, no matter if it's "cold"?

I'm confused. Some recipes say to inject and then refrigerate the brisket, but don't say whether or not to use "cold" injection.

Thanks.

I had to go look up the 40-140-4 deal (the Gov suggests that Meat taken from the fridge, 40, should be taken to 140 degrees with in 4 hours) couple things (these are my opinion not backed by anything) you should be ok as long as you get the meat back into the Fridge before the 4 hours is up (really trimming and injection shouldn't take longer than an hour) the temp of the injection really shouldn't matter as long as its fresh the cold of the fridge should negate any danger. But for sure taking the meat to an internal temp of 195 to 203 will kill any beasties that may have arised.
    Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 6, 2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I would agree. Taking the meat to the 200 degree range should render it very safe. I don't pre chill my injection, but I do try and keep the meat in the fridge as much as possible.

Comment

I hade never heard the 40-140-4 either. I always make my injection liquid the night before and it stays in the fridge and is injected just before it goes on the smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here