Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt

This question is for all of you veteran smokers out there. Does applying the rub and wrapping it and storing in the fridge overnight really make a difference compared to applying the rub and putting it directly on the smoker. Also, what's your opinion on injecting the pork butt. Does it really make a difference? I'm just a backyard cooker on a 18.5" WSM.

The only thing in a rub that will penetrate is salt. If you are making your own rub, leave the salt out and instead sprinkle the pork butt with salt and refrigerate over night. Then apply the rub right before putting it in the smoker. If you are using a premade rub, check the ingredients. It's almost certain that salt will be one of the first ones. In that case, yes, it definitely makes a difference to rub it the night before.
    My personal opinion on injecting is that I've never done it and my pork butts always turn out wonderful. I leave injecting for things that are likely to dry out, like brisket and turkey.

Comment

I agree completely with Keith. Thick meat benefits the most from a good overnight of dry brining. Thinner meats like steaks or ribs you can get by with an hour or two, although many people go overnight on these as well.

I wouldn't bother injecting a pork butt. You surely can if you want, but you'll probably find it completely unnecessary. Pork butts are so fatty that when cooked properly they are so juicy & delicious they need no extra help.

Comment

I once smoked 2 butts, one injected, one not. Every so often you would get taste of a hint of extra flavor on the injected butt. However, it wasn't enough for me to ever want to inject another butt. Please don't get me started on brisket.

Comment

I would agree with Jerod, I never inject butts. Briskets I do

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here