Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Success

Yesterday was my second cook on my Weber 18" kettle. Previously I did ribs, so this time I tried a pork butt. Bought a Smithfield 7 1/2 pound butt and followed Meathead's instructions from the start: dry brined a day ahead of time, rubbed with Memphis Dust morning of, etc.

I woke up at 4am and had the meat on the grill by 4:30am. I had a couple of small pieces of oak and apple, so I added 2 of each during the first hour and a half. I probably had 3/4 chimney worth of unlit charcoal that I added 1/2 chimney worth of lit coals to when I started it up. Used same setup as last time except I added a drip pan below this time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 29, 6 28 15 AM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	326046Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 20, 10 30 23 AM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	326050
    I have noticed that some people name their grills, especially Mr. Bones, so I debated this weekend on what to name mine. It was during the pork butt cook yesterday that I came up with it. My grill is just a used, 18" grill, nothing fancy to it, a bit on the small side, with a fire brick inside to hold back the charcoal. But I fired this thing up yesterday morning and it held a temp of 250F for NINE HOURS solid yesterday. I was blown away by how long this thing lasted before I eventually had to add a little more charcoal to finish things up. Didn't matter if I opened the top to check things, add water, etc. - just super dialed in. And it's helped me serve up two very tasty meals of ribs and pulled pork now, so I'm naming it "Rudy." Just like Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, this grill might seem too small, might look unimpressive, doesn't seem like it could hang with the big boys - but it's surprising in performance; making up in heart what it lacks in polish.

Name:	Photo May 29, 3 10 03 PM.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	326047
    The butt took about 10 1/2 hours to reach the magical 203F mark. That was a bit early for my guest arrival time, so I put it in the oven on 170F to hold for a half hour or so before shredding it.

Name:	Photo May 29, 3 48 50 PM.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	326048Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 29, 3 57 43 PM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	326049
    There was plenty for the 8 people we had over, with leftovers. For this cookout, I also made the Lexington vinegar sauce and the Carolina Gold sauce from Meathead's recipes and they were both delicious as well. Pulled pork is one of my favorite foods, so it's nice to know I can make that myself anytime I want to now. Thanks again to The Pit for all the info and advice!

Proper! I love the 18"... had one for decades until mother nature took away it's legs. a little small for a group, but just right for two.

Comment

That looks great! Nice job!!!
      You an' "Rudy" obviously make a good team!!!
      I also love my 18", "Lil' Feller"

Comment

Now that is just awesome!

Comment

Daaaaang look at that color. I actually think pulled pork is even better the next day. It is like chili in that way.

Comment

• j_keegan
            j_keegan commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed!

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

• j_keegan
            j_keegan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ron!

Nice cook!!

Comment

Excellent JK. Looks like you hit it outa the park.
            Have you tried doing chuckies? They're almost as forgiving as butts. But it seems you had this nailed down from the start. Great job.

Comment

• j_keegan
              j_keegan commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B I haven't tried those yet - this was only my second cook ever. Is it about the same amount of time with those? I'm looking for my next adventure in slow cooking...

Last time I did 3 4lb chuckies. The cook took about 8hrs with a pit temp hanging around 260-280*. When you give'm a try do a little research here, it seems most people including me are wrapping the chuckies at 160-170*. This helps to keep them moist.

Comment

• j_keegan
              j_keegan commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll start researching it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Great pictures: practical & efficient charcoal setup, creative use of the old school thermometer, and acceptance of the new style digital one, stuck in that pig 'cause it's DONE!

Comment

Proving once again that a Kettle can get it done. Nice job!

Comment

Congrats to you and Rudy on another successful cook! I've done two cooks now too. The Pit gives you the confidence and knowledge to grill, smoke, and cook anything you want and a even more things you didn't know you wanted to cook!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and thoughts everyone!

Comment

j_keegan GREAT write-up and pics! The spirit of BBQ is having fun and making great food. I think you and "Rudy" are on your way....Cheers!

Comment

• j_keegan
                      j_keegan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks PJBowmaster - at one point I forget what was happening, but I was starting to stress a bit, and my wife reminded me "Hey, you're supposed to be enjoying this." It really is quickly becoming something I really enjoy (both the process AND the results!).

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      and it just keeps getting funner and funner... Congrats on a great cook!

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The path is the goal, Grasshopper!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here