Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder is still a little frozen in the center...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder is still a little frozen in the center...

Hey all,

Quick question for you: Ive got a pork shoulder that I was going to cook today and completely forgot to take it out until last night (*facepalm*). I left it out all night and it is pretty much thawed except for the very center. Is it still alright to throw on the cooker this morning? I'll be cooking on a PBC with a maverick temp probe to monitor the internal temp. The shoulder itself is about 7 or 8 lbs. I just want to make sure that the frozen center won't throw things off too much.

Any advice or wisdom is much appreciated, thanks!

My first thought on seeing your title was "It's not done". LOL

Go ahead and cook it, but it will take a bit longer. I don't normally wrap butts, but since it's still partially frozen, you might consider doing it. It might start to dry out with the extra time needed.

Comment

• Parnicus
      Parnicus commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same thing as far as wrapping it, so I'm glad I'm on the right track.

Maybe I should have made that title a little more clear lol

• Nightrayne
      Nightrayne commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my first thought too! Agree with Parnicus, wrap and cook should be fine.

Well, the shoulder is on. I'll let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll be fine!

You can move a thaw along if it is submerged in cold/ice water, That reduces the risk of the outer thawed portion being in the danger zone while the center is still frozen.

Comment

• Parnicus
      Parnicus commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know! I'll keep that in mind for the next time I need to thaw in a hurry. Thanks!

there are people on this forum that take the butt right out of the freezer and out it right in the smoker. i think you will be fine with a little frozen spot in the middle. just give yourself like an extra hour or so. your stall might be a little longer as well since it will likely have a little more moisture to squeeze out from the frozen parts.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      This! It will be fine.

• Parnicus
      Parnicus commented
      Editing a comment
      The good news is I don't have any guests coming over who'll be mad if it takes a little longer to finish. My pregnant wife on the other hand....

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ice cream & pickles should tide her over til the pork is done...

I cook straight from the freezer all the time.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Still have yet to do this.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I got 5 pounds of already sous vide pork belly, frozen. Will toss one of them straight from the freezer over the weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here