Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ever cook: Last Meal Ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever cook: Last Meal Ribs.

I had intended to participate in this forum for a few months, saving up to buy my first legit smoker later this summer. However, this community is just too exciting and fun to wait that long - so I bought a tiny 18" Weber kettle on CL and went for it. I don't have a dual-probe digital thermometer yet, so to play around that limitation, I decided to do ribs. Since you don't really use a thermometer on the meat, that got me half-way there; and for the other half, I decided to use an oven thermometer, that I sat right on the grate in between the meat. But I'm getting ahead of myself...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 20, 10 25 24 AM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	323241
    I bought a rack of St. Louis ribs - the Swift Premium style after hearing good things about it here on the forum. When I woke up Saturday, the first thing I did was dry brine them with salt. I let that sit in the fridge for about 3 hours, and then hit it with some Memphis Dust I had made the evening prior.

Name:	Photo May 20, 10 30 23 AM.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	323242
    I know I NEED a SNS, but lacking one, I used a fire brick instead to set up my 2-zone cooking. I followed Meathead's instructions as much as possible to a T on fire prep, dry rub recipe, cook times, etc. So I put in half a chimney unlit, lit another half-chimney and then added that to the top. I happened to have some chunks of apple sitting around from a tree I cut down last fall, so I used two small pieces of apple wood for this cook. I set a pan of water over the charcoal, but didn't do a drip pan below the meat (though I later wished I had since it got a little messy under there).

Name:	Photo May 20, 12 38 17 PM.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	323243
    I knew I couldn't fit the one rack lengthways on my tiny grill, so had planned to use Dave's method of coiling ribs. However, when I did that, I couldn't get the lid on (too tall). So, I cut the rack in half and did half-coils to get them to fit. It wasn't the most beautiful method, but it worked just fine. I shut the lid, arbitrarily set the vents at the bottom to about 3/8" open, and waited to see what would happen.
    This thing performed beyond my expectations. It stayed zoned in on 225 for a while, went up to about 250 and stayed there for pretty solidly. I never added charcoal or anything. In the last hour I did close the vents about half cause it was approaching 260, and that backed it down nicely to 245 where it stayed. Every 45 minutes or so I would crack the lid really fast to check the temp but everything stayed pretty consistent.
    (I know these dial thermometers aren't reliable, but I used what I had, and I am planning to get a good digital one soon - my birthday is coming up...)

Name:	Photo May 20, 1 03 57 PM.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	323244
    Around 4.5 hours in, I performed the toothpick test and they seemed to be done. I added a slight glaze of some KC-style sauce and put them over the charcoal for 2-3 minutes, flipping them regularly, and then pulled them and announced to the family it was time to eat. Was pretty happy with the exterior, though I probably could have pushed it a while longer.

Name:	Photo May 20, 3 05 27 PM.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	323245
    Family was happy because they had been smelling the ribs for hours and we cleaned these babies up in no time.

Name:	Photo May 20, 3 19 41 PM.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	323246
    Was very happy that it went so well for my first time. The instructions from the site/book are really great in my opinion. Word has traveled fast through the extended family and I will be attempting to make pulled pork for Memorial Day. Looking forward to it!

I can't say enough how helpful this site and community is. I researched a TON of various little things I had questions about ahead of time, and every question I had was either already on here somewhere, or was answered for me within a day or two.

Congratulations! You've done a fine job. Remember that folks were making good food without digital graphing thermometers for a couple of years at least! Will it help? Yes, but, as I clearly see, you did well! Enjoy the fun.

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Dang!!! You killed it!! The SNS is a nice add on, but it looks like you did just fine with out it. Well done!
    I have a Kamado Joe Jr. and I am also limited on space when I am cooking. I can't lay one rack of ribs across the 13" grate. So I like to roll the ribs into a coil. (As pictured below) This works great! On an 18" kettle, you will be able to at least two full racks of ribs, maybe even more.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38445.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	323253Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38446.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.0 KB ID:	323254

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you always do yours in the middle? I think I would have had room if I'd done it in the middle, but I already had my fire set up and didn't want to crowd the middle and overcook, so mine ended up being too tall to get the lid on out near the edge of the grill...

Well I do it in the middle because you can't do 2-zone cooking on a Kamado Joe Jr. You still want to put YOURS on the indirect side. Baby back are the best for this, if you have low clearance. They are not nearly as wide was Spares. j_keegan

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh - very wise.

j_keegan , give a person some ribs, a fire, and Meathead's instructions and magic can happen...you proved that with your first cook. Congrats! Those are some pretty good-looking ribs. No wonder they didn't last.

Kathryn

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Kathryn! Glad I learned how to follow instructions somewhere along the way.

you did better than i did on my first 3 rib cooks. good job!

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - I don't expect every cook will go so well, but it's nice when they do.

Those ribs look great!. Nice smoke ring too. Your method is the exact method I used when I started smoking ribs. No digital thermometer, no Slow N Sear. Just a kettle, bricks and a water pan. Nice job man.

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I think seeing the smoke ring was my favorite part of the results (other than the taste).

Absolutely love it! Goes to show high tech gadgets aren't needed to make good food (they just make it easier, lol)! Looks awesome man, can't wait to see more product!

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the encouragement - more to come for sure

Good looking ribs I think your pulled pork will fare as well, have fun

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking forward to it - thank you

Great start! Awesome ingenuity in "making do" with what you have too! Congrats!

Comment

• j_keegan
      j_keegan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Originally posted by bardsleyque View Post
    Good looking ribs I think your pulled pork will fare as well, have fun
    He's doing all the right things, which is mostly paying attention!

Comment

You did awesome j_keegan ! Congrats! And I surely believe & agree with Chuck T, high tech gadgets aren't always necessary. I think it's great that you didn't let the lack of a bigger grill/smoker/SnS/fancy thermometer, stop you. Good info is necessary, whether attained here or through experience via trial & error, and you did your due diligence in that regard to what looks like wonderful success! I wish The Pit was around when I attempted my first ribs and my first pork butt. Those failures are what led me to Google how to do them right, alas my discovery of AmazingRibs.com back in '06, Meathead's maiden year with the website.

Comment

• j_keegan
        j_keegan commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a little nerve wracking not having as much technology in the mix, but at the same time I think it kind of helped me focus in more in the important parts and kind of learn the basics first. Thanks!

Congrats on figuring it out and having a successful cook.

Comment

• j_keegan
        j_keegan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Absolutely beautiful job. Hey how did they cook food 1000 years ago. Don't think they had a Maverick or a FireBoard. In fact they didn't even have a cooker, just some rocks and a fire.
      That being said with a little technology your bbq game will sky rocket.
      Keep it up my brother.

Comment

• j_keegan
        j_keegan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve!

Great job! Going back long ago I used to boil ribs, then finish on a hot fire. When I tried to cook from raw, I probably used too hot a barbecue, and the ribs got tough. Now I know the 'low and slow' and the ribs are awesome. Have fun.

Comment

• j_keegan
        j_keegan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My first couple racks I cooked the same- hot & fast like a steak, it was all I knew! I thought "low & slow" meant an hour and a half! After tough pork chop-like ribs I began to investigate.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here