Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork: Texas Crutch or Texas Must?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not wrapped, yet. I enjoy trying to get a nice crisp bark to add some crunch. I guess I feel right now that wrapping will leave me with "crock-pot" BBQ. And I just (over the last two years) started to discover REAL smoked food. I know that's an exaggeration in my mind, but…

Comment

I use a Memphis Pellet Grill most of the time and I do wrap and add the juice back at pull time. My bark isn't quite as good as a non wrapped but my Family likes it so that's my gauge. I also use Fuzzydaddys recipe for juice to add to pulled pork. IMO it's what helped me get better with pulled pork. I added it to this post below.

June 24th, 2016, 12:32 AM
      I have also pulled and put in a crock pot and added about 1/2 cup of water per 5 pounds, and about 1 tablespoon of butter per pound. This was a delivery to a party and I stirred occasionally and after an hour it was still excellent. I did not wrap during the smoke, so I had no juices in the foil to add back. Freshly pulled is the best, but this works very well when the situation dictates.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I did this very thing today for the office, after an all night cook. It came out fantastic. Good call Skip. & fuzzydaddy

I used to wrap but I get really good results without. I use Meatheads Memphis dust recipe and everyone love them . I cook them to 205 at 235 degrees in my reverse flow. I just bought a Yoder YS640 so I'm going to try one wrapped and one unwrapped to see which I like better.

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        That will be a great experiment! I hope you share your findings!

The first few I wrapped, purely because the stall was freaking me out and I had to have them to the party on time. The last cook I did, 3 ~8lb bone in, I ran totally naked overnight. Dry Brine for 24 hours, Memphis Dust about 2 hours prior to smoking. I run a RecTec 680 at 215F for the first 8 hours or so... Watching the graph on the Fireboard, I slowly had to increase temp in order to make my mark. It stalled for about 3 hours between 160-170, but then started to climb gradually. I made a few temperature increases to 240, 275, and then 300. Just to get it to 203F before wrapping them for the faux cambro. They made the trip to work. Total time in the cooler was about 2 hours. They were still 189F when I pulled them out and started to shred them. These were still quite juicy, the bark was still fantastic. There were some leftovers, but none got to come to my house... they ended up going to co-workers.

Comment

I've done both wrapped and un-wrapped, and wrapped is definitely my personal preference. I find that the outer bark can be a little too dry if I don't wrap, but I also tend to cook my butts a little hotter - usually around 275 - 300, so maybe that is why the bark is so dry if un-wrapped.

Also, I always put my butts into a "faux cambro" for at least an hour or two after cooking. Hasn't failed me yet!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here dawg.

Just a general question:

Has anyone tried using plastic cooking bags to wrap instead of foil or paper?

I'm doing a pork butt and a small prime brisket this week for a graduation party 130 miles away. For logistical reasons I will be cooking them on Friday and then refrigerating overnight before reheating Saturday.

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Never tried anything but foil. That said, get as much air out as you can and they should work the same.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, kmhfive

I do both depending on a couple of things. If I am injecting, no wrap. If I am not injecting, or I am cooking for someone who really doesn't like a heavy smoke flavor - I will wrap it. My smoker is a stick burner so it runs better at 250-270, which makes my cook times shorter and helps keep the meat from drying out a bit.

Comment

gcdmd I have foiled both brisket and pork butt to finish a cook then sliced the brisket and/or pulled the pork butt before putting in cooking bags and freezing. Then into a cooler with ice and drove from Minnesota to Ohio for a Baptism. Thawed and reheated in a big roaster in Ohio. Not like fresh off the cooker but it turned out good. It seems like the New Baby was a bigger hit but I did get a few positive comments in the meat both times I did it. Good luck with your cook.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Skip.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here