Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly 2 ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly 2 ways

I finally got to try pork belly this weekend and it was a lot of fun. I picked up a large slab from Costco and split it in half. On both I cross hatched the fat and on one I did my standard rib rub. On the second I rubbed in brown sugar and marinaded in Yoshida's for 2 days. I put them both on the smoker at 240 until they hit 165 and then foiled. the one with the rib rub I pulled at 185 and sliced half like 1/2" thick bacon and the other half I cubed and did burnt ends. I threw the bacon like slabs on my charcoal grill with some sauce for a few minutes and they were good but the burnt ends were fantastic. The second one I left on the smoker until 203. Once I pulled it I scrape the fat cap off and then shredded, it was by far the easiest pork I have ever shredded. came apart like butter. I will be doing pork belly Asian style bowls later in the week.

I need to do some belly one day.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you do. It is fantastic :-)

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik is right. You'll love it!

Nice! I just love pork belly, smoke it whenever I can. It is so rich and just loaded with flavor!

I usually pull mine before 203, as I love cutting thick slices. But either way, it's a killer.

Comment

Is there a reason you should not trim the fat cap down before cooking? I have not tried one yet.

Comment

• jacmac422
        jacmac422 commented
        Editing a comment
        I left it on for moisture, also I find it much easier to scrape off once cooked than trying to slice it off raw.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty much my attitude too. Very easy to slice off while warm.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        For me, the important thing is to trim off the skin. I leave the fat on. The skin doesn't come out good when smoked for many hours.

Sounds delicious.

Comment

** Here's a tip, for the lowest priced Pork Belly, pay a visit to your local Vietnamese Market. Much cheaper than Costco.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          oooooh thats a great tip! I will have to check that out. Thanks brother!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, of course! Great suggestion!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here