Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tocino! The Terrorists Just Might Have Won

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tocino! The Terrorists Just Might Have Won

So, tonight we ate pork tocino ( or maybe just tocino, with "pork" being a redundancy?) and it was GOOD! The recipe came from here: http://www.foxyfolksy.com/tocino-rec...et-cured-pork/

I followed the recipe fairly closely. I used pork belly trimmed of fat cap ala Huskee. I used a whole 6 oz can of pineapple juice instead of the specified 1/4 cup and I did NOT mix it for minutes, much less hours. Also, I did not leave it at room temp over night--it went straight into the fridge. It was served over rice. Yummee!

The boiling part had me skeptical, but I did it anyway, dumping the all of the marinade and the sliced, chopped belly into water. After reducing the water to "nothing", there was plenty of fat rendered to bring the remains to a nice, sticky glaze. VERY tender, tasty, ( almost too) sweet glaze.

Next time, I would likely cut back on the brown sugar and add more vinegar, plus some hot sauce.

Seriously, you need to try this. Bonus points if you can propose a Q version. Also, I suspect this would work well with store-bought bacon.
    Last edited by Willy; May 20, 2017, 10:13 AM.

I don't think the terrorists win. This is a whole different way of cooking pork, and rendering the fat this way is well accepted - in some situations! I've seen bacon done that way in a skillet with a couple ounces of water (on TV), but haven't tried it myself. I still don't think boiling ribs is a good idea (anymore!), but there's nothing wrong with this dish. Sure looks good, anyways!

I'm with you, though, brother... no way I'm mixing something by hand for hours! lol

Comment

Boiled Ribs? How you gonna 'sprain that to your grandkids?

Actually, for this recipe it's what's required!

Comment

Nice recipe! But I'm not sure about leaving it overnight on the counter. I might go straight to the fridge.I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to leaving food out overnight.
        Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 20, 2017, 06:48 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! I forgot about that step being there and I didn't do it either.

Ditto, @Steve Vojtek . I got a few funny looks and comments when I was cooking in a soup kitchen in south Texas a number of years ago and would put big pots of beans in the walk-in refrigerator to soak overnight. Maybe I was missing out on a flavor boost from fermentation, but I decided it was not worth the risk of getting a couple of hundred people sick. I would also cool the leftover cooked beans in an ice water bath before putting them in the walk-in.

My test of whether or not to serve something to our diners was "Would I serve this to my grandkids?"
        Last edited by gcdmd; May 20, 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here