Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork for Plenty of People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork for Plenty of People

I opened my mouth when I heard we were having a BBQ at work on Friday. I mentioned that I'd do pulled pork... well, we have roughly 100 people in this office. The good news, is there is going to be far more food than just the pork. I already purchased 3, roughly 8lb pre-trim, shoulders. Based on your expertise, should I get a fourth, or should 3 be plenty?

I did pulled pork last year for a Christmas party. I was told that there were 3 other main dishes (there were). The pulled pork was devoured while everything else was hardly touched until the pork was gone. Next time I'll make sure there's about 1/3 pound per person (after trimming)

Jim

Comment

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      If it really is a BBQ and there's other BBQ meats 3 should be OK. If it's a pot luck and your pork is the only BBQ meat, you'll need more.

at my work a 8lb butt will feed ~20 people. if you are the main event for the food i would get at least 1 more. if you are sharing the spotlight with somebody else and their food is expected to feed ~2/3 of the people you might be fine.

personally, i would get another one anyway. what's the worse that can happen? leftover pulled pork? what a dilemma...

Comment

Great thanks for the feedback. I was concerned about the count. I think I'll do a fourth just to be sure. There is supposed to be other meats (hamburgers/hotdogs/chicken) but I don't want to leave people without.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Good choice.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree with jgg85234. If your pork is the likely only BBQ hitting the table, it will get destroyed. I would definitely pick up another 1 or 2 butts and go with that.

You mentioned there should be chicken there. If so, that will take a good hit as well. Pulled pork & chicken will be the 2 things that get hit hardest, IMO.

Comment

Slider size buns might help too. Those who really want more will have more than one sandwich.

Comment

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good plan.

My wife had an office pot luck a while back and I did two (around eight pounds). She said the pulled pork had a line waiting for it, and it was gone immediately. Popular stuff.

Whatever meats are going to be there figuring a total of 1/3 to 1/2 a pound of raw meat is realistic. If you have a count of men and women figure 1/3 a pound for each woman and 1/2 pound for each man. Hopefully you aren't the only one cooking meat. If you are the only one providing meat, I would suggest doubling the cook.

Comment

As RonB said, get smaller buns will help control the portion control. I did a pulled pork for an Eagle Scout ceremony and the hosts bought 4.5" buns. The pork served everyone (60 people, 4 butts) but people were looking for seconds. 3" or slider buns will stretch the meat a bit

Comment

Looks like most things have been covered here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. When catering I calculate 1/2 lb of untrimmed raw product for each person. The butts I buy don't have a lot of fat to trim, so there isn't a lot of waste in that sense. When I cook them, I lose about 50% of the original weight. I also dry brine the day before smoking. If you have a vacuum sealer you can smoke them in advance and then vacuum seal and refrigerate/freeze after smoking them. I like to throw a hunk of butter and some apple juice in before sealing too. When you need them, take the bags and throw them into a beer cooler filled with hot/boiling water about 30 minutes before you want to serve. Then all you need to do is cut the bags open and dump in a bowl and let them have at it. If you have a sous vide stick it's even easier. Just set it for 145 and let them swim till you need them.

Comment

The dry brine certainly occurred. I (am/have become) a disciple of this site and the contributors. I have done 3+ butts before, but since this is for work, and not my drunk friends, I wanted to get the count right. I spoke with the "planner" of this party and she told me to only do 3. Since this is a work event, and technically a pot luck, there is going to be other proteins available. I'm hopeful that everyone that wants some will get some, but who knows... I do have a Joule and I will use that method at a later date. But in this case, I wasn't going to shred the pork before I left for the office., I figured I could do that there. Keeping the butts rolled in my cooler (as a 'cambro') makes me think they'll keep their heat longer.

Thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here