Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temp to crutch at for baby backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What temp to crutch at for baby backs?

I've got a couple of racks in the kettle with the SnS going just fine. I'm coming up on 3 hours and haven't opened the kettle yet but I'm about to flip the positions of the 2 and this will give me my first chance to assess the state of the cook. I'm not planning to crutch but if things are too far behind where I expect them to be (the grill temp struggled to get back up to 225' for the first hour after opening and putting the ribs on) I may need to crutch so as not to keep people waiting for their dinner. I've done it before but I don't remember what oven temp to set to do it? Meathead describes the crutch on page 60 of his book but doesn't give an oven temp. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Bathgate; May 13, 2017, 06:22 PM.

Well the typical 3-2-1 method will have you do it a the three hour mark. Personally I go by color. If my bark is set with the scratch test, and I like the color, I'll crutch to plow through. As far as temps, I don't change a thing really.

Comment

Thanks, lonnie mac. These baby backs are so meaty that the bend test probably isn't going to work so I'm going on color and probe tenderness. And I'm not going to have to crutch this batch, as they're looking really good at 3 hours and dinner isn't for another 90 minutes, so I've actually damped down on my fire to hold them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathgate View Post
        Thanks, lonnie mac. These baby backs are so meaty that the bend test probably isn't going to work so I'm going on color and probe tenderness. And I'm not going to have to crutch this batch, as they're looking really good at 3 hours and dinner isn't for another 90 minutes, so I've actually damped down on my fire to hold them for a while.
        Great brotha! You know pics are required in these threads! Hope it all works out for you man!

Comment

Thanks, again, lm. Took the ribs off at about 3-1/2 hours. Done perfectly. Pretty much straight on Last Meal Ribs recipe. Everybody loved 'em. Unfortunately, no pics this time around. Next time. (but I've got way too many pics of a pork butt and a pulled pork sammie that I made 2 days ago in another thread if you look for it)

Comment

Congratulations. I sometimes forget the pictures when folks are hungry! 😋

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ring.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	319581 ok here's a picture - the ribs at Sam's are always meaty and the bend test probably works more consistently on St L or spares

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here