Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly BURNT ENDS?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly BURNT ENDS?!?

so i just randomly came across a post on another site about pork belly burnt ends. (and i realize they aren't real burnt ends--- but they are smokey, grilled pork belly

has anyone tried them?

im thinking of making them my first cook on my blaze kamado and want to do a homemade sauce.

considering going fruit forward...do you think a cherry or blueberry chipotle would pair better with belly? or many just keep it traditional?

any insight on the cook or flavors would be appreciated.

Yes! There are amazing here is how I do them.
    I love to make Malcolm Reed's Pork Belly Burnt Ends.

Here goes......
    Take the pork belly and cut it into cubes about an inch square. Then take the cubes and cover them in your favorite sweet rub. (Memphis Dust is a great option for this)
    I like to put the cube on a wire rack, this makes it pretty easy to move them all in and out of the smoker. (I do this with wings as well) Then I place the rack in the smoker at about 275 F. Let them smoke until they are at about 175 F internal, or they have enough bark. To me, the more bark the better, especially for burnt ends.
    Once they have enough bark, take them out of the smoker and throw them into a foil or stainless pan. Cover the pieces in brown sugar, throw in a half or full stick of butter and maybe some honey or a sweet sauce. I looooove Blues Hog Sauce for this step. Cover the pan and throw it back on the smoker. Let them cook until about 190 F.
    They should be soft and very tender. Remove the foil top and cover with a glaze of your choice. ( I like to use Texas Pepper Jelly's Rib Candy.) Make sure they are good and covered in the glaze.
    Then return to the smoker, uncovered just to firm up that glaze. Enjoy. These are amazingly good.

This is a killer recipe.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah they are all great. The Pork Belly one was the first of his that I have tried. DWCowles

• gabulldog
      gabulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds awesome! Is it real sweet? Seems like it would be considering the three doses of sugar...

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It is sweet, but the fatty richness way overpowers that. gabulldog

Just tried a Filipino dish called "tocino" in a restaurant. I'ts basically a crispy, sugar glazed strip of pork belly. The traditional cooking methods are boiling (???) and deep frying, but I suspect a smoking technique would be very successful when followed by a sear. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list, along with oodles of other ideas, including a couple of Elton's BBQ 's that he posted today.

Here's one of many links to a tocino recipe: http://www.foxyfolksy.com/tocino-rec...et-cured-pork/

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad i could be to some inspiration.. :-)
      Cheers Willy

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If boiling is a traditional, should go well below boiling at Sous Vide.

I've not cooked any but I've eaten some. Difference was Smokin Guns Hot for rub and no glaze. it was a heavenly bite!

Comment

Smoked belly is good eats!! Really really really good eats. Served cubed with a little kicked up spice sprinkled all over.
      Too rich for serving with BBQ, in my opinion.

Comment

Here is my first attempt at Pork Belly Burnt Ends...will definitely be doing this again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37623.jpg
Views:	2933
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	318316

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh hell yeah

so, i forgot to ask.. skin on or off?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          skin OFF

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          What Jerod said.

These are amazing Mudkat don't miss out on making these. they are great for parties. Just make sure you have some tooth picks to pass them out.

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg
Views:	2905
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	371217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	2982
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	371218

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          PBCDad

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          That sure looks like a pitchfork, not a toothpick.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha, Yeah, I didn't have any tooth picks. So don't forget! Jerod Broussard

Those look tasty. I haven't done anything with pork belly before, but this certainly looks like a candidate for my first attempt. Thanks for the recipe tips Spinaker !

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You bet! Welcome to The Pit!

Had a third of a whole cooked pork belly in the freezer. Had a family thing Saturday, and decided to try doing the belly as burnt ends. Originally cooked with MMDR++, so cubed, tossed with more of the same rub, smoked in the kettle for ~ 2 hours. That got a reasonable bark on them, and good smoke flavor. Then took a bit of a short cut, just made up a glaze from brown sugar, agave syrup, cider vinegar, butter, and a little salt. Nuked it to melt the sugar. Drizzled and tossed to cover, then threw in the oven at 270 for about an hour, as the kettle was being used up doing a pair of tri-tips. Packed it all up, and off to the party, to join up with the boneless leg of lamb the BIL did on his Rec Tec. Managed to not get photos before consumption, but ...

The day after remains of a bowl full of pork belly burnt ends and two tri-tips
        Click image for larger version  Name:	remainscr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	436.7 KB ID:	371362

Comment

We are all starting to think the same thoughts...literally just made these yesterday. I finished them with the gochujang glaze from chefsteps. That glaze is a home run btw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork belly burnt ends.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	371377

Comment

"I can't freaking wait, no, I can't freaking wait. Smoking that pig candy, can't wait til it hit's the plate!" (Sung to the tune of "I can't freaking wait!")

Preheating for Pork Belly burnt ends. 👊

Comment

Yep.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm doing them on Labor Day for family and friends. Just bought the belly today...

Name:	BDz1u7b3Zn5EGrLndAEuiqV18n-YWHc-cH7D1iJnSti1wgiRjJ2gqY5TjG_C8rRGD5z_Acg_v9tZ1KLMwZH-jOl1Vab5_Okgyw-Ehv8gw3334LasGgg7rNUaUX5s38ZyMSz9HCtJ3Eh_KA5go8zs3iRRTjFhFPCKshn_TZ4TU3DwRtVg3YH0iQcPUqDiGcoQlB7cshVK_i6jjj9H6gMU-zqu842q5vcUqq7Qy0yacpDwItM5c9tJkNOl9W2WnKN
Views:	2977
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	373288

Comment

• gabulldog
                  gabulldog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where'd you get that belly?!

Inspired by Spinaker 's recipe above! Used MMD rub, Blue Hog for sauce, Meatheads glaze. Didn't use Malcome Reed's butter and brown sugar and these things were great! I bet the butter would bring 'em to a new level. I would use both if I was doing this as finger food for a party but this was dinner so I cut those out to live another day. 😊

Name:	20180127_205041.jpg
Views:	2882
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	446388

Name:	20180127_205428.jpg
Views:	2867
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	446389

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great! Good call on holding the Brown Sugar and Butter, that does bring it to a whole new level of richness. Try the, for a party. Great cook MK!

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These things are like pork crack!!!...HA. Spinakers recipe is da bomb!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here