Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pulled pork on a 22" kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulled pork on a 22" kettle

Hello everyone, been doing lots of reading , but before I try my first shot of doing pulled pork on my 22" Kettle next weekend, I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I have 2 4lbs shoulders bone out so I'm planning on about 6hrs or so cook time and an hour or 2 in the cooler before pulling. what is the better way to set up the kettle? should I go with a snake , or would you suggest minion?

I don't want to let the family down on this cook, they expect great things every time I'm out on the back deck using my kettle. So any and all input is greatly appreciate.

I use a SnS with my Weber Kettle, so I'm not an expert on the methods you describe, but based on my experience, I'd think 6-hours may be too short. Here's a previous post I found where the fuse method was used: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...bout-injection

Comment

You might add another hour of cook time for good measure. When cooking on a kettle I highly recommend using a water pan (with hot water in). A snake will be just fine, it'll last you plenty of hours. Have you done a snake before? Just asking so you know how 'thick' it should be. Also, when doing a snake, make sure you have a digital thermometer to monitor temp. The one in the lid won't be accurate, as the heat source moves (as the snake burns) during the cook, so it can't be trusted at all.

The above tips are just covering the basics, let me know if you got this down already.

When the PP is done you wrap it in a faux cambro. I usually let mine rest an hour, but you can leave it longer also. Don't worry about the Texas Crutch (during the cook), just let it ride for maximum bark.

Oh, another thing that should take the stress out of the equation: get that snake lit up one (1) hour before you plan to put the meat on. It does take a bit of time getting the kettle up to the right stable temp, but it'll be rock solid for many hours after that. I've done plenty of empirical tests with the snake, and have concluded that every 1/4 circle gives me roughly 3 hours. So full circle is 12 hours.

Comment

• NorthOfTheBorder
        NorthOfTheBorder commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually use the snake for doing ribs, with the water pan and a maverick watching my air temps.

• Onez
        Onez commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you stack the charcoal for testing the snake method? Was it a 3+2 or a 2+2, etc? Also, was it a 22" or 26" kettle? I love using my SnS, but thinking about experimenting with the snake method just for a change. I have both the 22" & 26" kettles. Thank you!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I stack mine 3+2, often 3+2+1. It depends on the wheather. Cold outside => thick snake. I use a 22" kettle.

All good info, especially the give yourself more time part, just in case the cook goes slower. An extra hour (or 4) in the faux cambro is a good thing. Hungry guests waiting, or pork that's not quite pullable is not impressive! Start early and the rest is easy. Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

i would definitely give myself more time. like 2 more hours

Comment

I used the snake with much success before I got the SnS. Definitely should allow more cook time to make sure you get those shoulders up to temp (203°f.) Hope you are using a digital for the Kettle temp and meat temp.

Comment

I always cut mine down to 3.5 - 5lb hunks, and they take me 7 or 8 hrs to get through the stall, another hour or two wrapped tightly to get to 200ish, then another hour or two faux cambro. YMMV. But, I too would suggest you plan on 10-12 total instead of 8 total. Better to hold the meat if it's done early until dinner time comes (BBQ meats hold very well) than to make everyone wait 2 or 3 extra hours.

Comment

Me, I'd get the butts on no later than 7am .. no later. The stall should hit about 11 or so ... wrap, bump temp to 300+ but not over 350. An option is to put the butts in a 350 oven to finish. Butt should be done no later than 3 - FTC for 2 hrs, eat at 5 ... @ 5:30, your family will be calling you a bbq legend!

Oh -- post lotsa pictures!

Comment

I've done three butts without wrapping. They were 6 and 7 lbs, bone in and have taken 10 to 12 hours to get to 194* IT cooked at 225*-250* grill temp. Then they go into a disposable foil pan, sealed with foil and into a 170* oven for an hour or so. All butts have been moist and tender. I pull and serve the butts in the foil pan - one less thing to wash. I think you should allow more time since you have many ways to hold the meat until dinner time. As our Fearless Leader (MH) says, "The meat should wait for the guests, not the other way around."

Comment

Thank you everyone for the great info I'll shot for getting the meat on about 5 or 6am to give me lots of time. I'll try to remember to take pics as I go for here.

Comment

I like the snake method and have gotten good results with it on my son's 26" ketttle. Thickness of meat determines cook time, so unless those Butts are really thin you probably should think of 10-12 hours unless you wrap at 160. Then maybe 7-9 hours.

Comment

I just did a 4.5# butt yesterday. I've discussed it and posted probably too many pictures over in the General Discussion board. Using a SnS on a 22" kettle, the cook took 10+ hours with the kettle maintained between 225' and 245' the whole time. Pulled it at 200' internal temp without wrapping or crutching. You definitely need more time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here