Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling pig on kettle rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling pig on kettle rotisserie

Hey There!

Has anyone done this? Looking for tips and techniques from those who have; specifically:

Length of cook?
    Amount of Charcoal? Replenish ?
    Covered or uncovered?

And anything else would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome fritz! I can't help, sorry, but I can say hello!

Comment

Hello back!

Comment

Welcome fritz

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Fritz.

I haven't done a piglet on the kettle, but I have done a number of turkeys. I'm also not sure whether you should go low and slow or hot and fast. It would seem that a suckling pig should be tender and that would make it more forgiving. I think I would go low and slow, but that may be a problem because the extension used to hold the rotisserie has a gap all the way around that will make it difficult to control airflow and pit temps.There are also gaps around the spit.

I would get a Slow N Sear and follow Adrenaline BBQ's instructions on how to do low and slow. I would also purchase a high temp rope gasket to plug the gap around the kettle bottom as well as something, (perhaps some magnetic sheeting), to cover the gaps around the spit.

Another, (easier), way would be over direct heat without the top, but watch carefully for flair ups. Use a digital thermometer with a probe to check temp and doneness. If your goal is "pullable" meat, the probe should just slide in easily. Normally, pork butts are cooked to around ~ 200* to reach tender, but I don't know about a suckling pig.

I wish I could be more help.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Fritz!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I've got no rotisserie experience. Sorry I can't help with that.

Comment

fritz , I recently cooked a suckling pig. You can read about it here. I don't have a rotisserie on my Primo so I couldn't cook it that way but the vast majority of the videos on youtube show cooking suckling pig on a spit. This one you might find helpful.

I had a blast cooking the pig and can't wait to do it again. Good luck and take lots of pics.

Oh, and welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

The whole deal depends on what you mean by a "suckling pig". Most piglets are weaned before they reach 20# live weight so a true suckling pig is not very big. It is also very mild flavored like veal or commercial chicken. In other words it tastes like whatever you put on it because it's too young to have developed much "flavor". I have done a couple dozen whole hogs over the years but only one true suckling pig. It's impressive looking but, at least for me the taste wasn't worth the effort. With a true suckling pig you are looking at doing something the size (weight) of a medium sized turkey. Cook time will be similar. Use a flavorful rub and I would even consider stuffing it with a sausage stuffing that you might use in a turkey. Be careful with your rotisserie. As the pig(let) cooks it will shrink some and if it starts shifting as it turns it will disintegrate. May be better to just rotate it 90 degrees every half hour. Same end result and a lot prettier looking. Have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here