Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First (but definitely not last) try at Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First (but definitely not last) try at Pork Belly

I'm a huge fan pork belly (but then again who isn't), however I have never tried cooking it myself. When I saw a nice pork belly at Sam's, I knew it was time for my first try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Belly - 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	308798

First, I dry brined, mustard-slathered and put rub on the pork belly. Next, it was off to the smoker at 225-250 (the wind and rain made for some pretty big temp swings).

Name:	Pork_Belly - 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	308799

The pork belly had great color, but stalled around 160* (didn't expect that). We were getting hungry so I wrapped it in butcher paper.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	308800Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Belly - 4.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	308801

I took it off the smoker 195 and faux cambro'd it for about an hour before the big reveal and slicing.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	308802

Name:	Pork_Belly - 6.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	308803

It turned out amazing! We were impressed with the gentle firmness of the meat and the silkiness of the fat while not tasting greasy or fatty. It had a great smoky flavor and the rub came through nicely without overpowering the porky goodness. The homemade cauliflower pickles were a great complement to the richness of the pork.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 7.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	308804

The first attempt at Pork Belly is a huge hit and it's now officially on the BBQ rotational menu.

That looks amazing. What rub did you use if I may ask? Usually I turn pork bellies into bacon or SV them never tried them on a grill. Something I need to do...

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve Vojtek thanks! I use a homemade rub that has a similar taste profile as Meathead's Memphis Dust. On my next try, I'm going to try a SV-Q method, but it'll be hard to beat this version.
      Last edited by T-bone; June 10, 2017, 03:17 PM.

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been eyeing of Malcolm Reed's recipe for a while now just need to find the time to do it.:

I'd love to do a belly on a grill. SV is great but you can't beat the flavor from a grill..IMHO..

That looks great! How long did it take?

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      6th Borough BBQ it took about 6 hours on the smoker and 1 hour in the faux cambro. I was surprised how long it took, but I think a lot of it was the weather/temp. I never read about anyone wrapping a pork belly, but when it stalled I figured, why not? It turned out great.

Man, what can I say, T-bone ???!!!
    That's some powerful beautimous lookin' eats, right there!!!
    Great pics, excellent tutorial, as well, many thanks!!!
    I especial like how ya' broke out 'Th' Good China' fer yer platin' pic, same as how I always do!!!
    ¡Disfrute su comida, Amigo!
    I'd love to hear me some more 'bout them collie-flower pickles...

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Muchas gracias, Señor Bones! It was definitely a meal that was enjoyed. I totally busted out the good plates since not only was I the cook, but the dishwasher too. Mr. Bones, I'll post the pickle recipe since you be interested in them.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Much obliged, T-bone !!!!
      Totally understand the logical china choice; Big Fave, here, lol!

Very nice. Kinda don't want to do the simon and garfunkel chicken tonight and head back to the store to find a belly.
    Great job

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan to me! S&G is unreal man. So good. You ever dry rub some wings with that stuff? Next level brother!

I see you T-BONE!!!!!! Great work on that belly, Brother!!!! I think you hot it on the head, that "gentle firmness" is something special to belly. When you pair that with a sweet-rub and some smoke........divine pork candy!!! Nice work Buddy!

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker thanks much! I've smoked a lot of things over the years, but this easily is in the top 5 of pure tastiness.

Great looking belly! Did you use any smoke wood?

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there non-smoke wood? And if there is, why would one use it.

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 thanks and I used mesquite and cherry pellets in my Traeger.

Yeah, I think you're right. You need to try it again, about 6 or 9 times until you get it right. Let me know when you try it next & I will be the judge.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, with the forever memory of the "two Yutes".

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan good plan! I like the way you think.

Great job.

Comment

Mr. Bones here ya go!

Lemon Curry Quick Pickles

1 ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (5% acidity)
      2 Cup Water
      1 TSP Curry Powder
      1 TSP Tumeric Powder
      1 TSP Cumin Seed
      1½ TSP Sea Salt (increase salt if using kosher)
      3 TBS Sugar
      1½ TSP Crushed Red Pepper (or slices of the fresh pepper of your liking)
      1 TSP Lemon Extract
      1 TSP Ginger Powder (if using fresh ginger, I peel a 3" piece & slice lengthways to make a stick and put 1 stick in each jar)
      2 TBS Sliced Garlic
      1 Head Cauliflower
      5 Carrots
      5 Red Radishes

Trim cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
      Peel and slice carrots and radishes (no need to peel radishes) into thin rounds.
      Mix dry ingredients.
      Put liquids, garlic and ginger in pot and begin heating on medium. Slowly mix in dry ingredients and dissolve.

Bring mixture to a slow boil. Boil 3-5 minutes.
      Put vegetables into mason jars and leave at least ½ inch headspace from the lid.
      Scoop liquid, garlic and ginger into containers completely covering vegetables. If additional liquid is needed to cover vegetables, boil 50/50 mix of water and vinegar and add as needed.

Refrigerate containers for at least 24 hours, but veggies are best probably after 3-4 days.

I never make this the same way twice, but use this as a guideline to deviate from.

Obviously this works for any veg, but cauliflower, radishes and onions are my favorites.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks for sharin' T-bone Much apreciated!!!
        I will give it a try here, real soon, 'cause it sounds looks so awesome!!!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing! I was going to ask for that recipe myself!

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Y'all are more than welcome. Let me how it comes out when you try it and what variation you added. I do something different every time I make it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here