Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First (but definitely not last) try at Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder77
    replied
    Great looking belly! Did you use any smoke wood?

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I see you T-BONE!!!!!! Great work on that belly, Brother!!!! I think you hot it on the head, that "gentle firmness" is something special to belly. When you pair that with a sweet-rub and some smoke........divine pork candy!!! Nice work Buddy!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like a plan to me! S&G is unreal man. So good. You ever dry rub some wings with that stuff? Next level brother!

• Steve B
    replied
    Very nice. Kinda don't want to do the simon and garfunkel chicken tonight and head back to the store to find a belly.
    Great job

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Man, what can I say, T-bone ???!!!
    That's some powerful beautimous lookin' eats, right there!!!
    Great pics, excellent tutorial, as well, many thanks!!!
    I especial like how ya' broke out 'Th' Good China' fer yer platin' pic, same as how I always do!!!
    ¡Disfrute su comida, Amigo!
    I'd love to hear me some more 'bout them collie-flower pickles...

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    6th Borough BBQ it took about 6 hours on the smoker and 1 hour in the faux cambro. I was surprised how long it took, but I think a lot of it was the weather/temp. I never read about anyone wrapping a pork belly, but when it stalled I figured, why not? It turned out great.

• Steve Vojtek
    commented on 's reply
    I've been eyeing of Malcolm Reed's recipe for a while now just need to find the time to do it.:

I'd love to do a belly on a grill. SV is great but you can't beat the flavor from a grill..IMHO..

• 6th Borough BBQ
    replied
    That looks great! How long did it take?

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    Steve Vojtek thanks! I use a homemade rub that has a similar taste profile as Meathead's Memphis Dust. On my next try, I'm going to try a SV-Q method, but it'll be hard to beat this version.
    Last edited by T-bone; June 10, 2017, 03:17 PM.

• Steve Vojtek
    replied
    That looks amazing. What rub did you use if I may ask? Usually I turn pork bellies into bacon or SV them never tried them on a grill. Something I need to do...

Leave a comment:

• T-bone
    started a topic First (but definitely not last) try at Pork Belly

First (but definitely not last) try at Pork Belly

I'm a huge fan pork belly (but then again who isn't), however I have never tried cooking it myself. When I saw a nice pork belly at Sam's, I knew it was time for my first try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Belly - 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	308798

First, I dry brined, mustard-slathered and put rub on the pork belly. Next, it was off to the smoker at 225-250 (the wind and rain made for some pretty big temp swings).

Name:	Pork_Belly - 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	308799

The pork belly had great color, but stalled around 160* (didn't expect that). We were getting hungry so I wrapped it in butcher paper.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	308800Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Belly - 4.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	308801

I took it off the smoker 195 and faux cambro'd it for about an hour before the big reveal and slicing.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	308802

Name:	Pork_Belly - 6.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	308803

It turned out amazing! We were impressed with the gentle firmness of the meat and the silkiness of the fat while not tasting greasy or fatty. It had a great smoky flavor and the rub came through nicely without overpowering the porky goodness. The homemade cauliflower pickles were a great complement to the richness of the pork.

Name:	Pork_Belly - 7.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	308804

The first attempt at Pork Belly is a huge hit and it's now officially on the BBQ rotational menu.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here