Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork tenderloin

I had never cooked a pork tenderloin, but it always sounded like it would be delicious. So this weekend I impulse bought a tenderloin at the grocery store near where I drop my daughter for art class. By the time I was home and ready to cook, I was feeling a little time crunch. I wanted to give it a couple of hours to dry brine, and with the time remaining, I just decided to throw it in the oven. I basically just followed the AR recipe using the S&G rub, and filled it with pesto, with some additional pine nuts and golden raisins. It came out ridiculously good. I highly recommend this for anyone that wants to make a centerpiece dish with little effort.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	306680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	306681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	306682

It looks crazy delicious! I cook my pork tenderloins to about 140 IT and love how juicy they are. I haven't cooked a pork loin in a long time after trying tenderloins.

Comment

• mayapoppa
      mayapoppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, 140 IT exactly. Perfect!

Beautiful!

Comment

It's a nice piece of meat, and there are a lot of things you can do with it, as long as you keep in mind that it's lean. We used to cut it into medallions and fry/simmer it in a CI pan with some gravy (and a cover for the simmer part after a quick browning). A 20 minute meal.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that sounds really good.

The pork has been green slimed but looks delicious. a must try the next time I cook a loin. Guess you could still smoke it using this recipe. Any input on the grill smoking temp for something like this?

Comment

I usually jus' let it ride in th' 'sweet spot' of th' smoker I'm usin'...
        I initially add more smoker wood on th' hotter-runnin' rigs, to get a goodly amount of smoke into th' meat early...
        Beyond that, I jus' watch IT...
        Never roached or even dried one out, thus far.
        Prob'ly should add, I always use a water pan when smokin' pork loins...
        Other's Mileage May Vary, but I've always found them a pretty easy cook, hard to foul up, at least irrevocably!

Comment

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          I did put about an inch of water in the roasting pan. I definitely think that helped.

It is a great piece of meat. Really good when wrapped in bacon as well. Great looking cook.

Comment

Here's one of my first smoked pork loins, dug out from th' archives...

Click image for larger version  Name:	iPod Touch 676.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	306932Click image for larger version  Name:	iPod Touch 677.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	306933Click image for larger version  Name:	iPod Touch 678.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	306934

You'll do jus' fine, IMO!
          If you so desire, I will furnish a pic of th' cooker used, so ya' know that yer good, with what yer workin' with.
          It'd prob'ly give ya' a good laugh... its quite some considerable distance southwards from a Weber 22"
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 18, 2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Looks great! Pork Tenderloin is always a good call.

Comment

That cut looks to me to be a chunk of pork loin, not a tenderloin, which is much smaller. Whatever the cut, though, you sure did the right thing with it, mayapoppa . It looks delicious. Congrats on the cook!

FWIW, here's Meathead's show 'n tell for a pork loin vs. a pork tenderloin:

Kathryn

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe it was from a REALLY BIG pig...

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Now why didn't I think of that?

• mayapoppa
                mayapoppa commented
                Editing a comment
                The cut I cooked was about a foot long. While it looked a bit chubbier than the tenderloin pictured above, it was certainly under 15". It was advertised as tenderloin, although I know that is an inexact science.

I agree, mayapoppa . It's hard to know sometimes. I just got an email from ChefSteps this week about how to sous vide a pork tenderloin. But the pork in the photo sure looked to be the same thickness as the loin shown in Meathead's photo. And if those guys don't know the difference between a loin and a tenderloin, how can we?

Also, what Meathead shows is a whole pork loin, which I sometimes buy at Sam's Club. But most of the time I buy a piece of pork loin (about 10-12 inches long) from Publix or some other local supermarket. They chop up a whole loin and sell it in pieces most of the time.

Kathryn

P.S. Your cook has inspired me to try that pesto-stuffed pork loin recipe. Thanks!
              Last edited by fzxdoc; April 22, 2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here